front grill styling

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stevieb5796
My Cars:

front grill styling

Post by stevieb5796 »

Hey,
I'm a little confused looking at some pictures of xantias about... There seem to be two different styles at the front, one where the chevrons are part of the grill, and one where the chevrons are part of the bonnet and the grill is plain. I thought at first that it was an age thing, but then I saw an L reg (93/94) one with them in the grill and an M reg (94/95) one with them on the bonnet.
Not a huge thing I know but a little odd no? Anyone care to shed any light? lol
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

For what it's worth, and I may well be wrong! Up to L reg they were on the bonnet, M reg same size chevs were on the grill then facelift (R reg?) the grill became as one with the bonnet and got bigger chevrons. Perhaps the M reg you saw was a late registered L reg model? Can't explain your L reg with chevs on grill - not noticed one but will keep my eyes open!
stevieb5796
My Cars:

Post by stevieb5796 »

I only ask as I have just bought one, well I am picking it up tomorrow from the garage, they put a new MOT on it and found they had to do a little work then I got a call from the garage today saying it would take an extra day as they had to get new spheres from citroen. So looks like I did pretty well there at least.
Anyhow mines M reg but it's got the chevrons on the bonnet and not on the grill. Not a problem obviously, it was registered in Aug 1994. Just wondered. I came to the same conclusion as you, it was just the L one with the different grill that confused me lol
There weren't any additions in 1994 that I may have missed out on if it turns out mine was a slightly late registration is there?
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

The very early models had the chevrons on the bonnet.
I believe the chevrons moved at the same time as anti-sink was introduced.
You do see the odd M reg in the earlier style.
The grille became part of the bonnet on late '98 facelift versions.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

An accident damaged - repaired early model could well have the later style fitted.
//NiSk
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

My 95 has its chevrons on the grill and anti-sink.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

AFAIK the main changes when the chevrons moved off the bonnet were anti-sink, driver's airbag slightly (they're still 'kin awful) headlights. There might have been others, eg 95 TD cars tend to have 15" wheels rather than 14", electronic speedos possibly?
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

My 95 TD has 14" steel wheels as standard. Its also got the electronic speedo.
The Xantia got seat belt pre-tensioners as standard at some point (my 95 has them), I think that was when the chevrons moved.
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

I recall something about the cooling system being uprated with the change of front end too?
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

You could probably check part numbers on the radiator to see if that were true or not.
h3rjp

Post by h3rjp »

Isn't it a basic rule of thumb if the car has an airbag, then the chevrons should be on the grill (they were introduced in the same update). If you've got grill ceverons and no airbag, then the front may have been changed, and it may be worth some checking to find out why?
Rob
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

In theory the changeover point was June 1994 (late L reg), but in practice the older models with the bonnet chevrons continued to be sold well after August '94 (dealers old stock perhaps) so there are quite a few around with M plates on.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

....One thing I've noticed too, is Xantias apparently built before the later 1997/98 facelift, but with much later reg plates on - eg T, V or W reg.
I even saw a "pre-facelift" on a W plate, supposedly with an HDi 90 engine! Does anyone know the story behind this? I've seen too many of them for it to be a 'one off', or bodged accident damage repairs.
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

Similarly I have seen the pre-facelift bonnet and grill on cars with facelift bumpers and side trim. This indicates that the parts are interchangeable. It also points towards Citroen putting cars together with whatever parts were available at the time; this seems to be a sign of pretty shoddy working practices and I hope they weren't disorganised enough to produce crap cars at that time.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Well they certainly didn't take too much time to design the chrome effect trim on the side panels on the Xantia.
It seems to be a lottery as to how long they last, before they deteriorate, and start to look poor.
If a car is made to last a while, then a manufacturer will get a good reputation. This even applies to small items like trim, because people notice these things. Durability and quality control do matter!
Citroen and other manufacturers should take note!