ax debut and understeer

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tris

ax debut and understeer

Post by tris »

Even though my '93 ax debut has good michelin tyres it still understeers rather badly on slippery rounderbouts etc. Is this normal for this model because of the reletivly skinny tyres (standard) or should I look into suspension.
If it is normal 'characteristic' of the debut would a simple swap to, say a wider wheel from a "forte" or gt help? Its just i like the car as a cheap lil fun runabout, but want a little more grip, for safety if anything.
Thanks,
tris.
One more thing, have slight vibration felt through the steering under heavy braking. New pads and discs recently, any ideas?
gardenpeas
My Cars:

Post by gardenpeas »

the understeer is normal and fun,
don't see the point in changing for wider it would cost to much and you never know how good second hand tyres r
when i'm flyling my ax around a little dab of the middle peddle before the apex then hit the loud peddle should help, if in doubt this time of year just slow down a bit
also if the michelins are eco tyres their grip is comprimised for fuel economy
i do also get some judder under very hard breaking think it's pretty normal
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Most FWD Citroens understeer by design (it's the safest thing to do, any fool can crank on some more steering lock).
If your not on a public road (ie: your not going to hit anything) throw her into the corner hard and 'lift off' the accelerator sharply, the front will stop understeering considerably, possibly the back of the car may swing around in a slow controlable manner as well.
Infact I got my FWD BX waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy sideways through a round-a-bout yesterday (bad, shane ... your giving citroen drivers a bad name [}:)] ).
You really need to know how to 'drive' a Citroen to get the best out of it, especially the larger nose heavy CX's & DS's.
seeya,
Shane L.
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

What size are your present tyres Tris? And how much tread depth remaining?
Actually there should be no judder on braking if everything is perfect but it could be...
Discs fitted slightly off true.
Discs/pads not bedded in slowly enough.
Out of round tyres.
Play in suspension joints/bushes.
David
tris

Post by tris »

145/70 R13, just the standard debut size. Good tread. Michelin energy with only a few thousand miles on.
The brake judder has only started recently. I replaced the discs and pads recently and did notice that one of the calipers wasnt floating and was siezed. It was loosened up but still not 100% free. Might this cause the judder. I had to replace the pads as on the side one of the brake pads had worn down to nothing and the other hardly warn at all. Presumably it was due the problem it the caliper. Im gonna have to take it apart again and have a fiddle.