Xantia ABS puzzle

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stewart_c
My Cars:

Xantia ABS puzzle

Post by stewart_c »

Hi Folks,
My ABS light has been on for a few days & having read up on it in the forum I thought that I would try & find out which sensor it was ,buy it ,& fit it during the christmas break,or so I thought.[:(]
The car is a TD & the plug that I tested was between the LHM tank & the housing within the engine bay that has relays & fuses & I was getting 1.05K ohms approx on all 4 pairs of connections.
Can anyone offer words of wisdom or will I have to be lazy again & put it into the local independant guy ,it's just that using it 6 days a week does'nt leave much time to mess around and the break seemed a good oppertunity to get my hands dirty again.
Am I correct in thinking abs is purely electrical & changing a sensor would not allow lhm to be released[?]
any information would be appreciated
stewart_c
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

just a thought: have you seen the fuses?
Chris55000
My Cars:

Post by Chris55000 »

Hi!!!
I'm afraid you could have a defective ABS ECU unit - these American designed units are lousified - both Xantias I've had (a 1993 2.0i and a 1994 1.9TDSX had dud ones!!!![:(]
Defore condemning it check the green ABS relay in the engine compartment fusebox and double - check the sensors and make sure the toothed rings on the hubs are not too corroded or split - gently brush them with a stiff nylon brush and brake cleaner fluid - the tip offered elsewhere on the Forums of connecting the sensors to the line input of a portable radio/amplifier and spinning the wheels is very useful - you'll get a growl rising to a whine in the radio's speaker and then back down to a growl as the wheel slows to a stop.
When you switch the ign. on the yellow ABS light should come on, flicker momentarily and
then go out and remain out. If the light flickers, goes out but comes on again when you move off, there's a sensor or wiring fault - desconnect the ABS ECU multiplug straightaway
to prevent further damage!!!! Unfortunately if the light is permanently on the ABS unit may have already have gone phut!!!![:(]
You can either get the units reconditioned or get another from a scrappie for about £90.
I am given to understand that it's the internal voltage reg. in the ABS ECU which fails but no-one'll reveal how to fix it!!!! - otherwise I'd fix 'em myself!!!!
Hope this helps!!!![:)]
(From an equally long-suffering Xantia Owner!!!!)
Chris Williams
stewart_c
My Cars:

Post by stewart_c »

Hi
The light stays on permanently when the ignition is turned on so it looks as if it may be the ecu however I will try the relay but does anyone know which fuse it is if it has not blown (or gone o/c somewhere else)
thanks for the help anyway
stewart_c
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

have a look at this thread and the links - the subject was thoroughly dealt with there. If your car is before about '96 my guess would be ECU - not necessarily that expensive to repair.
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=3266
jeremy
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

When you turn the ignition on, does the ABS light flicker?
Once flicker means that the ECU is OK, two flickers then going out means the wheel sensors are Ok.