Is this normal?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

406 V6
My Cars:

Is this normal?

Post by 406 V6 »

Hello everyone!
Last Friday, i had to load my mom's C5 with around 450Kgs on the boot.
Being a bit on the safe side, i adjusted the suspension to high before loading, thinking the electric hidro pump couldn't, eventually, take it.
On the way home, the same road i do every single day, the road's depressions, bumps were smoother and the direction very light.
This direction thing is usual on "normal" cars that bottom down, but having the suspension leveled and all that, it seemed a bit weird on the C5.
Besides, damping rate should remain the same, since the spring rate goes constant due to increased pressure inside the sphere counteracting the weight, right? At least, this is what i recall from Citroën hidraulics.
So, should i be concerned with all this, especially the lighter front?
Many thanks,
Patxi
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by 406 V6</i>

Hello everyone!
Last Friday, i had to load my mom's C5 with around 450Kgs on the boot.
Being a bit on the safe side, i adjusted the suspension to high before loading,
Patxi
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
But you put the suspension back to normal before driving?
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">But you put the suspension back to normal before driving?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Even if i didn't, the ECU would.
BTW, the car wobbled more when starting to roll due to the added weight. Engine mounts?
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

Although the hydraulics will keep the level right, the extra weight (450Kg is a lot) will make a big difference to how the car responds to bumps and corners.
If a lot of the weight was behind the rear wheels the steering would become even lighter than normal.
PJ
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Thats a hell of a lot of weight to have in the boot- I have had that much in the back my BX and it bottomed out on every bump, having struggled to get off the ground after loading- there is a limit to how much it can cope with......so in answer to the question, yes, it is normal!!
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Well, the break's pump didn't seem to mind the weight.
And that other thingy?
Thnaks!