Windscreen smearing.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stuart McB
My Cars:

Windscreen smearing.

Post by Stuart McB »

I have recently replaced thw front screen wipers on the Xsara (bought Bosch) as the old ones were leving a sort of misty smear [:(]. Now I've cleaned the screen with all sorts of stuff from white spirit to the official stuff as usued by the Queen, but no difference [:(]. Now I've read in a motoring magazine that 'sugar soap' is the best stuff to use. Also read that half a potato rubbed on the glass is good [?]. Any thoughts on how to clean this grime off. Should just metion the Queens stuff is Autoglym glass cleaner.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

I had this problem when I bought my TD Xantia. Like you I tried everything then eventually found that 'Clean Screen Paste' available from Jaguar dealers did the trick.
beezer

Post by beezer »

If you can get hold of Vienna chalk then this method works well:
'Puff' the chalk over the screen then use a mixture of one part vinegar to two parts water and polish the screen. Allow to dry then polish off the deposit. Wash the screen with vinegar and water again. Vienna chalk is available from violin makers' suppliers. I believe it contains more sulphur than French chalk. Talc and French chalk work but not as well. You need plenty of elbow grease but it is worth it.
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

Sounds like you've had some sort of grease/oil contamination (made worse by using white spirit) I made the same mistake once by using parrafin.
The chalk idea sounds good because it is both abrasive and absorbent and the vinegar acts as a solvent. You could just use as stronger solvent such as acetone of thinners, but make sure they are pure (ie, panel wipe) and don't use nail varnish remover as it will contain moisturisers. (another lesson learnt!!)
Just watch the paintwork though!!!
Once you've solved the problem, cream glass cleaner will be suffice and is far better than the instant spray stuff as it contains chalk and solvent.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

So it's vinegar and chalk on the shopping list this week. White vinegar I take it, like that girl on the TV who cleans houses. Thanks for the tips guys.
user_3150
New User
My Cars: This is a dummy account added to fix some orphan posts.

Post by user_3150 »

I have always used a dry newspaper. Find a black page only (no colour) with loads of print or ink and just rub on the windscreen.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Cheap toothpaste, followed by meths (or isopropyl) and then Rain-X.
//NiSk
cornishbx16v

Post by cornishbx16v »

and dont forget to clean your wiper blades![:)]
i have found that to keep good clean screens to add a window cleaner spray liquid in to your screenwash, i have tried many things over the years, and as a valeter by trade i have heard many many things from different reps on how to keep screens clean, but i have found that in with the screen wash i pour half a bottle of fast glass as it dries non smeary on the screen! but it is also very inportant to clean your wiper blades often as they get a build up along the 'wiped' edge!!
mikeg
My Cars:

Post by mikeg »

Hi Cornish, what is fast glass? It' a new one to me. It sounds like a good idea to me.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

if you want to clear a smeared windscreen, buy yourslef some Holts Mixtra (or renamed Screenies, but not wipes) if you phone Holts' up at Stockport, they will tell you the nearest stockest to you.
It cleans anything off you windscreen, I have used it for over 10 years now, cracking for clearing diesel of glass too
http://www.holtsauto.com/
Paul
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

I wouldn't use rain x on my windscreen, all the others yes, but I found the droplets 'mist' the windscreen.
leonard1
My Cars:

Post by leonard1 »

Fast Glass is made by Auto Glym selling for about £4 and available from motoring shops. I now swear by it. You spray a little on the windscreen and rub with kitchen towel. And then when finished wipe the blades with towel.
cornishbx16v

Post by cornishbx16v »

thats the stuff, comes in a bottle with a trigger on the top! it is one of the easiest screen cleans to use imo! all you have to do is wipe it off with towel afterwards, so when you put it in the screen wash the blade does the wiping, ala, clean screen![:)]
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

No need to use any form or rag or paper to use Holts screenies/Mixtra, squirt it on, leave for 30 seconds and wash off, removes most Cr*p from the screen even diesel fuel fumes
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Wrinklet, you're supposed to buff the "mistyness" off!
//NiSk