Cheaper options for faulty speedo??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gladys

Cheaper options for faulty speedo??

Post by Gladys »

The battery in my 2000 Xsara (battery now replaced!) recently went flat and the speedo no longer works as the needle has gone right round, and it's now stuck under the pin it normally rests on. I understand this is a common problem and is often resolved by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, but this has failed to work in my case. My local dealer would like me to pay 380 to have a new instrument panel but, it being Christmas and all, I am unenthusiastic. I am trying to establish whether it's really necessary, and if it is, whether I could get it done more cheaply!!!! (NB I will be contacting GSF tomorrow!!) Does anybody know whether it really is necessary to replace the whole panel, not just the speedo?
My dealer says they could strip it down and try and get it to go back round, which would cost about 50 pounds for labour but would not be a permanent solution.
Much obliged for any tips!!!
[:(]
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

As a temp option you could always do what I dis for a long while - use a Garmin GPS tracker unit to tell you your speed - quite accurate - just let it sit on your dash. I picked up a cheap one for £30 and used it for months and months before finaly replacing the cable on my speedo.
Never got a ticket once!
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

I believe speedos are one of those funny things as you dont need one for an MOT and its not tested however if you get stopped by the police and they somehow found out it doesnt work, then you have to get it fixed within 2 weeks. I used to use my visa without one and just took it easy on the roads but not ideal for an everyday car. Its like ABS, not checked but if your abs warning lights on you fail mot (solution, remove bulb)
On the visa the speedo can be unbolted from the rest of the instrument panel and I think the bx and zx too so theres a good chance it will be the same on the xsara. You could source one from a scrap yard then pay the £50 to have it fitted I guess
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Sorry to appear thick but, I have never heard of this on a Xsara or any other car with electronic speedos before. You've take the battery off to replace it and the speedo needle has gone all the way around the clock. Who replaced the battery? if it was the dealer get them to sort this out as they obviously took NO precaution to overt this 'common problem'. If not try disconnecting the speedo sensor from the gearbox end. As the car is being driven this sensor is telling the needle part of the clock to move around to show the cars road speed. As it's behind the needle it can't move. If you remove the sensor the needle is effectively dead and so may return to the other side of the needle.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

seen this quite a few times,it can also happen when trying to start the car with a flat battery or when jump starting,when you disconect the battery have one lead off & quickly just touch it to the battery post on & off really quickly a few times & this usually sorts it,failing that you need to remove the instrument panel & shake it to get the needle back round.
stuart- after the needle goes past a certain point off the speedo scale for some reason the return spring works in the opposite direction so its a spring thats holding it against the rest not info from the speed sensor so i would imagine disconecting the road speed sensor wont do anything (except matbe bring the engine management light on).
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Ah, I see. I thought that as the sensor would be energised it would still work in the forward direction. Info received and stored away with other Citroen stuff.
Gladys

Post by Gladys »

Thanks, everyone, for these tips. Haven't got it sorted as yet (very slack) but if I find something that works I'll post some feedback!
Gladys

Post by Gladys »

Hi - have now sorted the speedo problem, on advice from an independent mechanic. It took five minutes and it didn't cost a thing! The trick is, to disconnect the battery, then turn on the ignition, THEN reconnect the battery! Hurrah! I think I will ring Dixon's and mention this to them, just to see what they say... and needless to say I will not be taking my car to them in the future!!
[:)]
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gladys</i>

Hi - have now sorted the speedo problem, on advice from an independent mechanic. It took five minutes and it didn't cost a thing! The trick is, to disconnect the battery, then turn on the ignition, THEN reconnect the battery! Hurrah! I think I will ring Dixon's and mention this to them, just to see what they say... and needless to say I will not be taking my car to them in the future!!
[:)]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Unless you buy a tele and you need something to get it home in.