What's it worth?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mseymour
My Cars:

What's it worth?

Post by mseymour »

I'm thinking of parting with my 96 Xantia VSX TD estate, but don't really know what it's worth. Valuations seem to vary wildly. It's fair condition for it's age, a few dinks here and there, and it's done 102,000 (although the engine has only done about half of that)
Anyone got any realistic ideas, or even interested in buying it?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Try Ebay it - with a reserve you personally think is decent.
Personally I like (local) ads the best which have a seris of photos honestly showing the dinks and problems.
Once got interested in a cheap BX RD - because of the photos. The price tag and description was not interesting (seemed too cheap and rubbish in fact !).
tonyb1
My Cars:

Post by tonyb1 »

I've seen these go for between £500 - £700 on eBay, but that's with plenty of MOT and TAX left on it. So I wouldn't expect to get a lot more than that.
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

In my experience as both buyer and seller, e-bay doesn't generally give you the best price for your car. It's a great place to sell a car relatively quickly, but I think most buyers are looking to pick up cars for bargain money. I reckon you could probably get up to about £200 extra for your car by advertising it directly (with stickers in the window) putting cards with photos in local shops and trying a cheap advert (loot, local paper etc)
This does take a bit more time, but will generate more money and potentially less wasters. My personal opinion is that the car is worth between £700 - £1100 depending on actual condition and history.
All the best.
CommY
My Cars:

Post by CommY »

For a private sale you are talking £700 maximum unless you get a real munter. The second hand car market is flooded and the public don't want Xantia's. When I was looking for a Xantia I was going to buy a 1998 1.9TD SVX? saloon mint with alloys and CD multichanger for £700 (that was a price over the phone, no negotiation) from a garage with 6 months warranty. I ended up paying £320 for a 1997 1.9TD Xantia from the auctions 170K full main dealer service history immaculate inside and out. It has since dropped 5th gear but £60 later for a replacement and skinned knuckles it's A1.