C5 Glowplugs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Lynnzer

C5 Glowplugs

Post by Lynnzer »

I've been running my C5 2.2 HDI on a 50-50 mix of diesel and veg oil for several months now. Now that the weather is getting colder I'm having a little trouble startin on a morning. I could reduce the mix so that it is thinner but I would rather keep it as it is. I have heard of glowplugs that can stay on until such time as the engine reaches its normal operating temperature but haven't any idea about where to get them, do they require any extra work other than just a simple replacement etc.
Anyone have experience in thei field. Would appreciate your comments.
Oh, just so you know, I get my veg oil for free from local cafes etc,after use of course, I filter it through a pillowcase into my blue wheeley bin and pump it into the tank. Car goes great, actually runs better and pulls away better at the 30mph in fourth gear spot when it used to have be changed down to 3rd gear.
Just so you know!!!
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

The duration of the glow period isn't governed by the glowplugs themselves, but by the preheater relay. High pressure Direct Injection engines don't really need glowplugs to start, even when cold, but they improve the exhaust emissions. What you should watch out for is wax precipitation from your fuel mixture - stick a botle of your mix in the fridge overnight - if there are any lumps forming in it by morning, you must increase the diesel content or add white spirit (no more that 5%). If it survives the fridge, try the freezer - this will give you an idea of what you can expect to happen in your fuel tank!
Depending on what your "used" veg oil has been "used" for, I think a pillowcase might just be a little to simple a filtering solution. Small particles of carbon (if its been used for frying) could 1) hopefully block your filter 2) if 1) doesn't apply, they could damage the injection pump or injectors.
//NiSk
broomie
My Cars:

Post by broomie »

If its straight veggie and not been treated to thin it - then it will be tougher to start in cold mornings. Have you tired to do 2/3 glowpugcycles Before you start up?
Personally I'd be concerned using 50/50 mix of veggie s I think this is too thick in winter for your diesel pump.
Its best to treat the veg oil either yourself or get someone knows the chemistry to do it.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Erm.. Hand up @ the back here....
Thought the HDi wasnt supposed to run on more than a 5% mix of vegg oil and diesel. Though it could damage it otherwise?
beezer

Post by beezer »

Nothing like a bit of field research Marty! I am only saying this because it is not my car.
P 2501

Post by P 2501 »

Filtered through a pillow case - LOL!
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Isn't a sand filter the way to go?
Something extremely fine...
Lynnzer

Post by Lynnzer »

Just so you know, www.vegoilmotoring.com
Apparently there's a kit available to run it on oil after initially starting up on diesel.
Don't want to have the mod done as I will be changing the car in the spring anyway.
The mix isn't quite 50/50. It's probably more like 40/60 but it's been running sweet as a nut. First free oil was from a Kentuck fried chicken type place. The oil was saturated in chicken fat so I dropped this. I'm now getting it from sandwich shop types of places that only fry chips in it for a week before changing the oil. Very little contaminates in this.
Anyway, as I said, the car runs beautifully on it, is smoother at low revs and doesn't smell like a chip shop.
I change my filter more regularly just for the sake of it but apaprt from one time when the filter warning came on while I was running on Kentucky oil, hasn't shown any excessive clogging.
If anyone else is interested, I have a supply of 200 liter (40 Gallon) plastic drums to store the oil in. Selling at £12 each. Also have a special pump which measures 1 litre per crank so I know exactly what I'm putting in.
Still need to know more about how to keep the glow plugs going for longer though before I have to reduce the mix for the winter.
Oh, a word of warning, if you are thinking of doing this make sure your motor doesn't have a CAV/Lucas pump. It will destroy it in no time. I mean no time at all.
beezer

Post by beezer »

Does 'no time' include 2 years and about 40 thousand miles? So long as you have a reasonable percentage of ULSD many Lucas pumps can take it. I would be concerned about the amount of water in oil that has been used for frying chips. Tatties have their fair share of the old H2O. The normal thing is to separate it. Mere filtration will not suffice. You might find that a Bosch pump and injectors will destruct pretty soon if so much water is in the system.
You could rig up a manual system for powering the glow plugs.