rear wheel alignment

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jemboyd
My Cars:

rear wheel alignment

Post by jemboyd »

Can someone give me some advice on this problem. The rear wheels of my 1997 Xantia appear to be tilting inwardly at the top, especially the left side. The local agents, from whom I bought the car, said it was the suspension arm bearings and changed the left side - no part available to change other side - although this was not a problem because the tyre on this side was not wearing badly. When they reassembled, they found the wheel still tilting inwardly and sent car to a place with a computer to check frame alignment and the like. They found nothing wrong there. They claim to have checked spindle and shaft and other suspension parts and found nothing wrong, yet the wheel is still cocked out. Can someone help me with this problem because it is really getting me down, and I've only just bought the car and have to live with it, and tyres aren't cheap here in Trinidad...
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

With new bearing's in the trailing arm and still no improvement to the angle of the wheel, there must be something bent or out of alignment, as a possible result of an accident may be.
Certainly requires further investigation, suggest you take it somewhere with the required alignment measuring equipment yourself.
Good luck
Dave
jemboyd
My Cars:

Post by jemboyd »

I've just taken it to a place that does alignment and they have confirmed that three of the wheels are within specs but the left rear is way out - as I have said their is no sign of damage, frame or otherwise...
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I'd put this down to one of two things.
Either they haven't done the job properly; perhaps not fitted the spacers for setting pre-load (working on the assumption of course that these are the same as CX/BX) There is often the temptation for mechanics to simply slip a couple of SKF bearings in instead of the full kit which includes these spacers, or....
The arm bearings have been allowed to wear so far that the actual section of the arm that the bearings fit into has been damaged, allowing the bearing to either float about or simply move up on the inside and down on the outside giving you the lean.
I would say that your mechanic is reluctant to saddle up to doing the job all over again, but I get the feeling he's gunna have to. If the latter is the problem (which is the scenario I suspect) then it will be a case of either replacing the arm or if it's not too bad and there is a local welder witha bit of skill, build of and grind out the damaged portions on both sides.
Wish I could give you better or less potentially infammatory news.
Alan S
jemboyd
My Cars:

Post by jemboyd »

Thanks for your input - they apparently used original Citroen bearings, wonder if they left spacers out - will ask them.
Big joke is these people are the local Citroen agents...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Make sure they changed the tracks as well as the bearings, and fitted a new spindle bolt, and if they have it off again, make sure that the mouting holes are not oval. Could also be worth checking that the stub axle is not bent - is the arm bearings are OK, but the wheel is bent relative to the trailing arm.
Richard