Oil on Clutch ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Twiss

Oil on Clutch ?

Post by Twiss »

My Zx has an oil leak which i have traced back to to Crankseal behind the flywheel. Over a peroid of time i have found that my gear dont always like going into gear and the clutch somtimes feels a bit slippery.
Could the oil leak cause this ? if so is there any way of cleaning that area out without taking anything apart? or is the clutch on the way out?
P.S I know little about car but not much so please explain in simple words.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Oil on a clutch tends to either cause the clutch to slip when it should be locked, or cause it to judder when you're slipping it (i.e. when pulling away from a junction etc).
You may need to check your clutch cable adjustment.
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

The gearbox will have to come out to change the oil seal, the clutch will have to come off and then the flywheel. I agree with Kowalski though, your problems could just be down to adjustment on the cable.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

You can perform a temporary repair of the leaking oil seal by using a sealant repair additive in the engine oil - something like Omega 917 (which is used by all the hydraulic digging machines, due to the enormous wear on their cylinder seals). I've used it both in the engine (front crank seal) of my XM TD12 and the LHM system and it really does work - for at least a year in my case. The additive works by decrystalising the rubber in the seals (thats what makes them go hard).
//NiSk
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

Guys i will check my clutch cable, on the oil seal i ahve used in the pas wynnes stop leak it stoped it for about a month or slowed it down at least, is that one a good make ? if the oil seal has to be replaced does the engine have to be taken apart ? i mean other then the flywheel and clutch?
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Seal additives tend to make rubber seals swell, which is good if they've shrunk, hardended or worn, but for seals that haven't and are functioniny properly it can be a bad thing (think distortion). Its good for a temporary fix, but I don't like using that sort of thing in the long term.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Omega 917 doesn't make rubber swell, it only decrystalizes it, so that it isn't hard (returns to its original form).
//NiSk
beezer

Post by beezer »

I have had difficulty in finding a UK supplier of said Omega 917. Seems to be popular in Sweden and Norway though! Made by a Hong Kong company http://www.magnagroup.com/products/omeg ... dis917.pdf
I tried a Lucas Oil product which claimed to do the same. Made things much worse but at least I was refunded as it said they would on the bottle.
If Omega is as good as you say NiSk and "det gir også materialet tilbake sin opprinnelige form og styrke", as they say in Norway, a friend would be keen to try it. I have contacted the company.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

These engines can also leak oil from around the main bearing cap and not just the bearing oil seal.
Dave
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

The main bearing cap behind the flywheel.
This is most likely the XU engine Hockey oil seals problem, Not many non Pug / Cit mechanics know they are fitted there.
There are 2 x black rubber seals fitted inside the bearing cap, They cost less then £1 for the pair form a main Pug / Citroen dealer.
Also you need to use the correct sealent when you refit the bearing cap.
The fun parts in the fitting, New sump gasket please, lol