help needed with zx

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

zxaura
My Cars:

help needed with zx

Post by zxaura »

Hello,
Is there an expert on the quirks of the ZX amogst you?
some time ago mine started throwing out thick white/grey smoke when at low revs or engine braking ( downhill etc.) The opinion of the local Citroen garage was the hd gasket and having 'picked the brains' of a few other garages, went ahead and changed it, took it for a run and no more smoke! Now its overheating though! the coolant is pressurised and even cranking the engine when cold result in an imediate gushing from the expansion tank. When run for a little while, there is steam intsead of water at the top of the rad. I've had the water pump of and it seems fine with no obvious wear. I have disconnected the heater matrix and removed the thermostat, but still have the problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

I'm sorry, but it looks lile your HG is still leaking, or perhaps you have head troubles. If a garage did the work, take it back sharpish!
HOWEVER, it may be an airlock, was the cooling system properly bled? If you aren't sure, do this again, certainly before driving the car again...
You will find plenty info on bleeding in the forum's archives.
zxaura
My Cars:

Post by zxaura »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jonathan_dyane</i>

I'm sorry, but it looks lile your HG is still leaking, or perhaps you have head troubles. If a garage did the work, take it back sharpish!
HOWEVER, it may be an airlock, was the cooling system properly bled? If you aren't sure, do this again, certainly before driving the car again...
You will find plenty info on bleeding in the forum's archives.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
thanks for the quick response.
Unfortunatley, the thought had occured to me, I'm hoping not though! I did bleed the system when I filled it, using a pop bottle as a header...Maybe not big enough or high enough? Although water at each bleed point! Also thought about head problems but not sure what this would be unless cracked?
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

radiator isnt blocked is it? I had a new engine fitted to my car as I was told the old one was knackard (radiator I was told was fine) and then I was told it needed a new radiator as it was bocked.... so £700 later I presume it was the radiator all along. Il not be using the garage again, since it wasnt the only problem... he put my wheels on backwards, used car for a month and a half and then found out (youd think a garage would know about directional tyres) when I took it to get the wheel alignment done.... I had been done. The smoke you had does sound like it was the HG, however the overheating sounds like a blocked radiator or the fact its not beld up properly.
Simon