Strange brake problem

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

maddave

Strange brake problem

Post by maddave »

Pug 405 GL 1993 1.8 petrol. 104,000 miles
I have this strange problem with the brake lights on my 405. When starting I checked my brake lights from the reflection in the garage door. Pressed the pedal and nothing happened. Pressed again and again no lights. Pressed the pedal really quick and the lights came on. Pressed again at normal slowing down kinda braking and no lights. Quick pedal pressure and lights on. Went for a drive for 10 minutes and then tried the same procedure again and all is fine - lights came on with the slightest of pressure as expected. This isn't a one off, this has been happening everytime I start the car from cold. Any ideas why I lose brake lights until the car has been driven a bit?
I know for a fact that the brake fluid hasn't been changed in the two years I have had the car, (40,000 miles worth), and it probably wasn't done before I bought it. Could that be the reason? I know I need to change it!!![:I] Just haven't conjured up the courage.
How is the switch operated, is it pressure from the brake fluid or is it a mechanical switch from the pedal?
Also I have noticed that when applying the brakes on start up the pedal feels firm like when you press the brakes with the engine off and the servo kicks in. It then loosens up as you drive. Again, could this be down to fluid age?
I checked the rear shoes and front pads at the weekend and both have loads of friction material left on them as I changed them about 6 months ago.
Any ideas?
sorry for length!! :D
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

more than likely a faulty brake light switch,its a mechanical switch operated by the pedal.