BX handbrake thudding

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

czenda
My Cars:

BX handbrake thudding

Post by czenda »

Hi, I have inslalled new front brake pads on my 1988 16TRS BX. The braking action of hydraulic brakes is OK, but when a handbrake is applied while driving, a single "thud" is heard when the handbrake is released again. The noise comes only from one side of the car. What can be a reason for this and what can be done to fix the situation? All ideas are welcome, thanx.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Probably because the new pads are moving up and down within the caliper. Nothing to worry about!
meexi
My Cars:

Post by meexi »

Hi,
Are you sure that you put the springs in the correct way i done this on my first attempt and got a thud aswell.
prm
My Cars:

Post by prm »

Have a look at the cam linkage under the rubber boot on the calliper. You may find this is dry and partially locking on and releasing with a knock. Not unknown with BX,s.
Also check the hand brake outer cable for any breaks especially around guides.
R
cornishbx16v

Post by cornishbx16v »

i have never had it with the handbrake but used to get it all the time when rolling backwards, hit the brakes and thud! has now gone after changing the pads and copper greasing all the surfaces the pads touch other metal with the exception of the disk!!
CommY
My Cars:

Post by CommY »

I suspect a worn bush on one of the suspension mounting points. My fathers BX developed a similar thud when reversing for about eighteen months. This worsened til the whole wheel started wobbling. Problem - worn bush on lower front suspension arm.
czenda
My Cars:

Post by czenda »

Hi, the noise disappeared after 3 days of standard driving, braking and handbrake usage. The original pads (legacy after that SOB of the previous owner) were very thin, my guess is that the noise had something to do with the cam linkage as suggested. Thanx for your ideas.