should I swap 205D to a 306D ? ? ?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

StuartR
My Cars:

should I swap 205D to a 306D ? ? ?

Post by StuartR »

205D J92 135K
Hello sorry about the long absence from forum, no net access and
lots of other problems too!
Anyway I'm considering getting a 306D instead of the 205D (which is still going fine,ish)
Could I have some honest opinons and experiance from 306 owners
(and any one else) about what they think.
Details from quick chat with owner-
- Its a 306 1.9D (debadge Mardi Grar I think)
- M reg 1994or5
- 80k on clock
- new alloys/tyres and half leather seats
- drivers door has been broken into, they bent the top down
but its pushed back, window fine, only sign is above wing
mirror the door frame has lost small strip of paint.
he's asking £850
but no history !!!
I think I can tidy up the door (after a proper check)
but I'm worried about the history
- cam belt
should have been checked by now but not easy to so on the car.
my 205 has a garage sticker saying the next cam belt change on it
but haven't looked under the bonnet of the 306.
Also MPG on the 306 is down as about 47 with the 205 supposed to be up to 60. The 306 is bigger and heavier but I don't think I get anything like 60. If I go over 75 it pours away.
I want something for a more comfortuble ride for more distant travel but can't afford to loose out big on the fuel economy.
Also anything else to look for in particular with this model?
Please give me your thoughts.
- I've tried using the 'Vehicle Data Search' on the rac.co.uk
which is free but I'm blocked from the site by the library firewall???
(hardly makes sense)
could someone check reg. M86 JOK for me
don't want to sound cheeky but just can't?
thanks in advance, stu
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Checked out your reg number. It is indeed a Mardi Gras listed as new in Dec 1994 but from other checks I've done, many of them are listed incorrectly as new in December. It's had four owners the last having had it from June 04. Personally, it's had too many changes for my liking.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Have you thought about the humble Citroen ZX. The Td is a belter. Loads about to choose from and a lot cheaper to insure, maintain, repair and purchase. Same car really. FPr £850 you can get and almost new (of sorts) ZX TD Volcane model. Go on have a think about it.
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

You won't get the economy of the 205 - I can get 65mpg at 65mph on a long run - because the 205 is just so light.
But if your 205 is anything like mine, ie worn out, long journeys will be no fun.
A TD XUD9 is much better suited to motorways - no more backing off or losing steam on long hills.
You'll feel a lot safer too, the 306 and ZX are much more stable at speed.
chriswales6

Post by chriswales6 »

Hi,
My 306 Dturbo is great on the motorways, it will hold 80 with a bit of power in reserve. I don’t think that it uses a lot more fuel than a non-turbo. I have had as little as 41 MPG from a tank full, but that was drive like my rear end was on fire, normally I average 46 MPG. In the last 6 months I have slowed down and have been sticking to the speed limits plus not using the turbo as much. This change means I’m regularly getting over 50 MPG, with 54 MPG the most I’ve got from a tank full. I’m not sure what the economy figures are for the non-turbo, but I think it’s worth getting a turbo car.
There are a lot of 306’s around and you afford to be very picky when buying one. The current owner of the car you looked at has only had it for a few months. There maybe a good reason for this, like the owner is moving abroad or been given a company car ..... or they may know that something very expensive is about to go wrong. I would ask a few questions about it, also the cambelt should have been done at 72,000 miles, if there is no garage receipt to prove this then it would be wise to change it. You also say that there is bodywork damage, personally with that many possible problems with the car I would think twice about buying it.
Given the age of car your looking at I would recommend getting a fairly basic model. As Pug’s get older things like central locking and electric windows tend to stop working and can prove expensive to fix. They also add weight to the car which in a small way will increase your fuel usage.
Cheers
Paulmi16
My Cars:

Post by Paulmi16 »

Based on my ownership of a 306, i'd say stick with the 205.
Paul.
StuartR
My Cars:

Post by StuartR »

Thanks for the replies all
JohnD - cheers for the check it's as I was told he bought it from Stoke?? -long way from me- 6 months ago. He's just bought a 306petrol with lexus lights and trimmings, so he probably was after something faster and flashier. My 205 had 6-7 owners when I got it (checked very late) so to me 4 seems ok, though 1 owner from new would be better.
StuartMcB - I have thought about the ZX and did before the 205, the gold ones are prefered but I thought that the insuance was higher than 306's especially TD's. Also curves give the 306 the illusion of being smaller I've always thought. That doesn't really count though!
ralph - I find if I stick to 60 I do best. I just find a truck and sit behind it. I would probably only notive after I'd changed car, but it does get noisy
Have had a good look in the light yesterday and looks tidy enough (the leather interior is sadly swaying me)
If I do go and look under the bonnet any ideas of particulars to look for?
I'll look for black/white smoke on start up.
noise anything else?