Xantia pinion valve - ouch!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mikey_s
My Cars:

Xantia pinion valve - ouch!!!

Post by Mikey_s »

Recently noticed that the LHM fluid was down in my Xant 1.9TD SX - just got the call back from the local Citroen dealer who tells me that the leak is from the pinion valve and the cost of replacement is going to be 550 quid. Furthermore, he tells me that the last one they had was unable to get the parts...
As the vehicle is nearly 10 years old I suspect this is more or less the same value as the car - is the end nigh, or does anyone know a trusty dealer in NW Surrey who could do this job nice and cheap???
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer....
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Rule Number 1-Avoid Citroen dealers like the plague- don't believe them!!!!
Pinions are readily available- click on "home" top right and head for the online shopping!
If you can't fit it yourself I am sure someone on here will know somewhere decent thats local to you.
Mikey_s
My Cars:

Post by Mikey_s »

Thanks for that advice - I think I'll get a secoond opinion from another dealer in any case - I have no clue what is involved in replacing a pinion valve, but I guess the noext acquisition will be a Haynes manual!!
Thanks again for the rapid response
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I can't advise on ease of fitting as my BX doesn't have power steering, ( despite being a diesel..........[:(!]),so I've never had to do it but if you do decide to have a go yourself there will be plenty of advice from here.