106 1.5 XND Starter motor problem

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mi16chap
My Cars:

106 1.5 XND Starter motor problem

Post by Mi16chap »

Hi all
Recently bought myself a 106 to run about in over winter to keep my other car garaged over winter.
The car has had non stop problems since I got it, I want to blow it up.
I fixed a blowing exhaust manifold the other day. Started it up yesterday no problems and ran it round the block to see if the gum on the joint had sealed ok...which it had.
Ran it today and the starter motor is sticking on when I turn on the engine. It goes off again when you pull out the key, have I damaged something when working down in the back of the engine?
Peter D
My Cars:

Post by Peter D »

It sound as though the ignition switch has failed or you have a short somewhere. The single small wire that goes to the starter motor pre-engage solenoid should only be live them the ignition key is in the start position. Disconnect the wire from the starter and either use a meter or a bulb to ground to see what is happening. I do not recall this signal going though any relays but I will check in the manual later. Regards Peter
Peter D
My Cars:

Post by Peter D »

Yes it is a straight wire to the solenoid and it also feed the Glow Plug control relay pin 5. Regards Peter
Mi16chap
My Cars:

Post by Mi16chap »

Thankyou, I will give that a try tomorrow.
Mi16chap
My Cars:

Post by Mi16chap »

I think my problem lied with the relay box attached to the coolant expansion tank.
Someone had chopped off the proper loom connector and the wires were held on with DIY spade connectors instead, they had slipped off and were shorting on each other.
Car starts and runs normally now, hopefully the starter motor problem was caused by that.
Just thought Id post my answer in case anyone does a search in future.