Xantia tyre size 55 or 50?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sbraud
My Cars:

Xantia tyre size 55 or 50?

Post by sbraud »

I know there has been some discussion on this already but not on my particular tyre size.
My Xant is happily riding on original Cit 15inch alloys with 205/55 tyres. I’m toying with the idea of dropping down from the 55 to a 50 profile as my present set of boots are up for renewal.
Has anyone done a similar thing with their Xant and is safe or advisable? I’m aware the ride quality will harden and my speedo may be out by a small percentage (when it works) but I’m thinking more of safety.
Any suggestions gratefully appreciated.
Cheers
Steve
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I went from 185/65/15 to 205/60/15`s recently on my alloys with no probs.As you have said,i thought the ride might firm up a bit,but no real difference there.But the they are a 60 profile.I dont think you would have any problems.Do a search for Tyresave,theres a tyre size calculator,lets you put your old size in,then what new size you want.Tells you the difference in % the rolling resistance.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Your problem's going to be the gearing reduction if you go down as low as 50 profile - you'd need to go to a 235 wide tyre to get the same gearing as the original tyres - and you certainly havn't got room for them under you wheel arches. The other alternative is to go to 16" or even 17" rims - but then you have to start worrying about them catching on the inner wheel arch liners when on full lock. Still - I'm sure someone has done it - even if it means a bit of modification.
//NiSk
sbraud
My Cars:

Post by sbraud »

Cheers Guys,
I'll give Tyresave a look - thanks np.
Thanks NiSk... I'll have to give this some thought. I had a feeling it would not be a simple as a straight swap!