Is my starter motor dead?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alan81

Is my starter motor dead?

Post by alan81 »

Hi,
I wrote a post a couple of weeks ago about starting problems I was having (intermittent, turns over well but doesn't catch especially after damp and no use). It's a 205 K reg petrol 1.1l.
Well today, I had the same problem after 2 weeks perfect operation. But my starter motor seem to have stopped working.
I pulled out choke, turnerd it over well. It wouldn't catch and then there was this noise like a high pitched laser pulse.
Now when I turn the key, there is no starter motor sound, just something that sounds like a dentists high speed drill starting up.
I tried putting it in 1st gear and rocking it but no luck. The mobile mechanic is coming on Friday afternoon ( he said it sounds like dead starter and he will get a new/reconditioned one for £80 plus vat,labour etc). Does this sound right? I'm in the uk.
Thanks!
Al
p.s it was booked in for a full service next tuesday so this is terrible luck![8)]
beezer

Post by beezer »

Certainly not a DEAD starter if it is making a noise. It does sound like it is not engaging with the flywheel. Could be a number of things. Do you get a loud click before it spins? 80 quid is about right for a mechanic to supply and fit. You could do it a lot cheaper yourself with a breaker's unit but the mechanic has to earn a living. If he is honest and it is something which can be fixed without replacement then buy him a drink.
Peter D
My Cars:

Post by Peter D »

"noise like a high pitched laser pulse" where did you get that description from out of a comic !!.
Sound like the preengage fork has broken thun the solenoid pulls and and makes the main power contacts but the gear does not engage and the motor just spins. Regards Peter
alan81

Post by alan81 »

Just thought I'd tell you the result.
The starter motor was gone and my distributor was knackered also.
Just got it back and it feels good!