Have i Gone mad !!!?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Twiss

Have i Gone mad !!!?

Post by Twiss »

Well i ask u if i have gone mad because i have spent lots of money on my car. Since i bought my Car which is a Citroen ZX Aura TD 1993 reg at the time it had done 106,000 miles bought it for £900 cash. had the car now 16 months has now done 126,000 miles.
Heres a list of what been replaced/done on the car.
New Readiator
New Front discs and pads
New rear drums and pipes + clyenders
New Sump gaskett
4 New glowplugs
Both Front supension wishbones and sorunding bushes replaced
New rear shocks
Both front cv joints replaced
New Aux Drive Belt
New PAS Ram replaced
Nearside Wing mirror replaced
Nearside Front headlight replaced
New Battery
New oil rocker box bresther pipe
All internal lights replaced
Anti Roll bar drop link replaced <-- going to be done this weekend
I think thats everything !!? Now i have found that my rear arm bearings need doing so i am thinking about getting volcane rear axel to get the rear discs, it may need a new clutch going to invetagate mor over the week, and the oil leak from bhind the flywheel is getting worse so that needs to be done.
I would like to know do u think iam crazy for spending so much money on her? should i get the probs fixed ( i really do like this car Iam 21 and i know shesa diesel but i like it + it makes me laugh when i can keep up with some of the most wanted Boy racer cars e.g
saxo vtr.) i am trying to make her look like a little more sportier by putting on volcane bumper [:)]( got the rear bumper just got to get the front ).
Or should i think about getting rid of her ?[:(]
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

i've spent loads of money on cars before and sold them only to regret it later and some one else gets a bargain as you wont get you're money back, if you like the car then keep it.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Keep it, look after it.. It will serve you well for many 1,000's of miles.... :-D
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">i know shesa diesel but i like it + it makes me laugh when i can keep up with some of the most wanted Boy racer cars e.g
saxo vtr.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I once raced a boy racer Corsa with a sports exhaust away from the traffic lights with my Xantia, he started prematurely but I caught and passed him. He must have had the one litre, I could tell from the sports exhaust noise how hard his little engine was trying. I think your ZX will be quicker than my Xantia.
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

You've got off lightly, Twiss. Just pray your head gasket holds up and you don't cook your clutch during your traffic lights grand prix encounters!
mrbump
My Cars:

Post by mrbump »

If it makes you feel any better twiss, I also have a zx (K reg 1.9td volcane) and have pretty much changed everything bar the bodyshell.
List so far (in about 1 year):
Rear axle including new wheel bearings,
2 new rear shocks,
1 recon rear brake caliper, set of pads,
Front wishbone bushes on both sides (p and round bush),
Steering rack,
trackrod ends,
both balljoints,
nearside hub,
both front strut top bearings (what a mess they were!),
berlingo front discs and calipers,
new set of wheels and tyres (saxo vtr),
towbar fitted,
rebuilt engine with new rings, shells, gaskets, hone etc,
head skimmed, slightly ported and valves all ground in,
had to replace no8 valve due to not seating properly(2nd head I had to do this to now?? both on the inlet closest to belt - funny),
xantia manifold with front mounted standard intercooler,
na diesel camshaft shimmed to tolerances,
home made exhaust with no silencer (only 2.5" straight through at rear),
reconditioned injectors with recalibrated and tested pump,
new belts,
new battery,
new 405 radiator (2 acutally as I burst the first one putting it in[B)])[}:)],
new lower engine mount (polyurethane),
brake master cylinder,
couple of brake lines,
braided hoses,
dash bulbs,
new driver seat,
getting some electrics sorted by a professional (long story),
front 90w speakers in original location,
cd changer/md head unit,
rear sub and amp,
both mirror glass,
I am sure there is more, but I cant remember. I reckon it all comes to around £2000 (probably more like £4000 if I hadnt done the work myself). I paid £450 for the car. Which is probably now worth around £400!!! Nah, in all honesty I wouldnt sell it and still have more to do like fitting this big gt20v vnt turbo that i have! After all it does the job perfectly well. It handles good, is very comfortable, doesnt attract any unwanted attention, loads of torque for towing, does 120mph (which is totally useless on our roads), and most importantly is <i>very</i> cheap to run. It also is just about the quickest thing I have tried on my 60mile cross country commute. It is made for backroads.
I reckon i'll hold on to it for another 3 years or so, then someone else can start all over again if they want!! I think the problem is that once you start, you think: "Well, i just spent £xxx on that part so there's no point leaving that other part not done when I can just change it as well, oh look! theres another thing that needs doing" etc, etc., its a slippery slope. My advice is get it all completely fixed, and enjoy driving about in a highly underrated car that you <i><b>KNOW</b></i> is completely sound. Also, if you can get your fuel cheap, and also get the engine tuned up slightly by someone who knows what they are doing, i am sure you wont be mad!
Cheers
Greg
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

Well i have decided to keep the car.
Yes i think i have got off lightly and will get want needs to be done on her fixed and go back to makeing her a little sportier.
I do love this little cheeky car[8D]
After i do some brake upgrades like changing her rear drums to discs and lower 35mm and getting volcane bumpers (got the back just need the front now) i keep her proberly till she dies or i trade her in for some thing new but that wont be for some time yet.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

If you can afford to run it still, keep it if you enjoy driving it.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kowalski</i>

I once raced a boy racer Corsa with a sports exhaust away from the traffic lights with my Xantia
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
So did I, but on a motorway slip road. What made it all the funnier was that he'd obviously tried to reduce the weight of his car by removing the back seats etc. I on the other hand was in the middle of moving house, and had the back of the car piled to the roof with a double bed (plus matress) folded in half, a small table, bookshelves, boxes of books and numerous houseplants completely obscuring the back window [:D][:D]
Oscar Too
My Cars:

Post by Oscar Too »

This is always a difficult question. You make a huge investment in effort and money into getting something going or keeping it going that you don't want to give it up. The general decision-making template that is recommended is to ask yourself "Can I afford to do this (pay for the next part, get the next job done) NOW?" If you can afford it at that moment in time then you should carry on. If not then you should stop. What you should not do is carry on paying money or time you cannot afford on the basis that "I've already spent £xxx and X weeks on it so I can't afford to stop until I've made my money back". In business and economics this is called "chasing sunk costs" and has been the cause of many a bankruptcy.
That piece of economic theory comes free, gratis and for nothing. Although I have paid an "opportunity cost" in typing this when I should be getting ready for my next meeting, but we'll cover that next week [:)]
Oscar
E-bay ZX
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

I've always spent far 'too' much on cars but look at it like this:
'fiddling about' with cars is my hobby. I don't play golf, I don't p**s all my wages up the wall in the pub. Fixing my car and doing other jobs on it is a source of pleasure and for that reason don't look at it in a purely financial sense. Yes cars are inanimate objects, but when you've done so much work on it yourself you have a vested interest in its survival.
So don't worry about it. Enjoy your car and the pleasure it gives you, unless of course you also get pissed and play golf..........
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

Well i do drink but not often and i can't stand golf so i'll compremise. :)
And i also enjoy working on the car.
ripsaw82
My Cars:

Post by ripsaw82 »

I know just how you feel :( My Xantia has had since December 2003 (when i bought it)
New Engine
New Cat
New Exhaust
New Drive Shafts (Both)
9 New Tyres
New Head Light and Rear bulbs
New Dash Bulbs
New Heater Matrix
New Spheres
LHM Changes x 3
2 New Clutch Cables
1 New Clutch
New Spark Plugs
New front discs
New Front pads (twice!)
New rear discs
New rear pads
i am now very poor :( and i do not even want the car, i want an Activa now, but i have so much invested in this car i cannot really get rid of it..... :(
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

ripsaw82
Activa's are brilliant you'll have fun when you do get one. Excellent handling! [:D]
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">So did I, but on a motorway slip road. What made it all the funnier was that he'd obviously tried to reduce the weight of his car by removing the back seats etc. I on the other hand was in the middle of moving house, and had the back of the car piled to the roof with a double bed (plus matress) folded in half, a small table, bookshelves, boxes of books and numerous houseplants completely obscuring the back window <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
So nick, I take it you managed to beat the boy racer! [:D]
Oscar Too
My Cars:

Post by Oscar Too »

Yes I think Dan's approach sums up what we feel about them, esp in the absence of other hobbies. Changing my heater matrix was the first job I've done on a car EVER. I am surprised at how much I enjoyed it and the sense of satisfaction gained from the problem solving and the completion. And that is something that you can't put a price on.