Dodgy Petrol Gauge?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

r_306_XSi
My Cars:

Dodgy Petrol Gauge?

Post by r_306_XSi »

Hi all,
I seem to be having a minor problem with my fuel gauge!
This has now caused me (mostly my wife...) to run out of fuel in an embarrasing manner [:I]
I didn't quite believe what my wife was saying until today and the latest stranding (this time on a motorway - luckily close to the services!). The gauge showed 1/4 full, but I found lack of power when accelarating, which then caused my speed to drop, and drop, and drop....
I was thinking maybe I had water on the ignition circuit somewhere as thats what it felt like - but on turning the engine off, and then immediately back on again I noticed the fuel gauge was registering in the orange "danger" segment. Checking my trip meter I found that I had done a fair few miles and probably could do with more fuel, and on taking the time to refill found this to be my problem!!
My question is, Is this fuel gauge behaviour a Peugeot-ism? Or is it maybe something to do with the fact the engine is injected (thus having a return circuit) that makes the fuel level difficult to read?
Or would it be worth my while fitting a new fuel sender unit (as I guess this is the likely culprit, unless anyone else knows better)[?]
kevin
My Cars:

Post by kevin »

Start by checking the wiring and associated connections on the sender unit in the tank, then go on to the sender unit itself.
I have found some Peugeot sender units to be optimisitic. I work off the trip meter, start thinking about filling the tank after 550 miles.
Kevin
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

yeah, I recently got mine and posted a topic only the other day about the fact I'd filled up from just under 1/4 full with 52 litres, and with a 60 litre tank that doesn't leave a lot in reserve!!
beezer

Post by beezer »

As Kevin says, wiring for high resistance and then the sender unit itself. I would imagine the 306 has access under the back seat.
r_306_XSi
My Cars:

Post by r_306_XSi »

Thanks for the info - I've been relying more on the trip meter - seems to be working ok now in urban driving! Wiring seems ok!? Is it possible to have a "sticky" part on the sender unit?
Maybe its just something to live with - yet another french stigma...
Paulmi16
My Cars:

Post by Paulmi16 »

My fuel gauge readings vary, on one occasion if the gauge was to be belived I used a quater of a tank in 14 miles! I fill the tank every time now and use the trip meter instead, as I know how far I can go on a tank of fuel.
Paul.
Linchpin

Post by Linchpin »

Both my XSI's have bad fuel gauges :-)
Likes to rise and drop pretty flippantly heh