What oil?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mrbump
My Cars:

What oil?

Post by mrbump »

Hey guys,
Just wondering, what engine oil would you use/reccomend for a 1.9td? I have been using Castrol GTD for a few thousand miles and have been using the gtd magnatec since last change, which, although it seems to be a gimmick, definately <i>seems</i> to have made it quieter on startup. Its a bit expensive at £22 for 4 litres though. I was wondering about using some of the new total stuff that has been developed for the hdi set of td's, anyone reccomend this in a normal td?
I have plenty of chance to experiment as I change the oil every 3000miles and cover that about once every 3-4weeks!
My engine has just been rebuilt, so no need for anything too gloopy!
Any suggestions on whats hot and whats not?
Cheers
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I use Halfords own 10/40 diesel semi synthetic(?)in mine.Have done for the last 36k miles.£18 for 5ltrs.I change it every 5k,never had any probs with noise,consumpion etc.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Total Quartz 7000 - you can pick up 20 L of the stuff off eBay for £30 or so. Again change every 5 or 6000 miles (despite what the manuals say about service intervals). - 3000 miles seems very frequent - unless you do a LOT of stop start driving - wouldnt do it any harm though.
mrbump
My Cars:

Post by mrbump »

Hey,
I am actually bidding just now on some of that total quartz 7000 on ebay just now (please dont gazzump me!), thought i'd give it a bash. I do prefer branded stuff but thats not to say own brands are anything other than a different packaging. Its these things i'd like to find out.
I do the change every 3000 just now because the engine is new and I want to give it every chance of surviving its infancy, to grow up and be a 200,000 miler like the other ones i've had!!
So, a sensible recomendation is 10w-40 synthetic then? What was the actual reccomended oil by citroen at the time the td was released? The haynes reccomends duckhams, never tried it.
tonespeed1999
My Cars:

Post by tonespeed1999 »

dont waste your money on these fancy oils!!.a good quality semi synthetic oil is as good as the next.anyone in the motor trade will say the same.only boy racers etc waist money on these oils claiming to give you that extra 1 bhp if you use there oils!![:)]
JohnG
My Cars:

Post by JohnG »

mrbump;Just been out to look in my handbook(1995td).Reccomendation is TotalDiesel 7000 15W40 API CD/CE CMC PD2.Hope this helps.
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

Last w/e I did the 6,000 mile service (n'er bother with one sooner) put in some Motaquip own brand semi synthetic 10w 40, always used their 15w40 before as that what the book said it should have. The engine seems to be running a lot smoother and quieter. I am really surprised how noticable the difference is. I always do the air filter at 6k as well as the td's like a clean filter.
mrbump
My Cars:

Post by mrbump »

So the reccomended oil is the TotalDiesel 7000 15W40 API CD/CE CMC PD2? I'll have a hunt around and see what the prices are like. I am also bidding on this stuff on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 7938699724
I am not too sure about the specs though, am I right in thinking that it actually has a higher spec than the recommended oil, and that all higher spec oils can be substituted for a lower spec without problems?
Cheers
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

ahh I had seen that stuff as well (dont worry Im not gonna bid on it![:p] ), seems like a good price to me....
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mrbump</i>

So the reccomended oil is the TotalDiesel 7000 15W40 API CD/CE CMC PD2? I'll have a hunt around and see what the prices are like. I am also bidding on this stuff on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 7938699724
I am not too sure about the specs though, am I right in thinking that it actually has a higher spec than the recommended oil, and that all higher spec oils can be substituted for a lower spec without problems?
Cheers
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">