Running warmer on biodiesel

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mseymour
My Cars:

Running warmer on biodiesel

Post by mseymour »

There's a place just outside York selling biodiesel that I've used a few times now. I tend to roughly mix 50/50 petrodiesel with their fuel which, I think, is a methyl esther made from waste oil.
I've noticed the motor seems to run warmer on this stuff. This time of year it's unusual for the gauge to climb above 70 on the 8 mile run to work, quickly up to 85 now.
Probably about time I had the radiator flushed as well.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Thermostat should open at 80 degrees if its the right one.
Stewart
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mseymour</i>

There's a place just outside York selling biodiesel
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Where is it exactly? I go over to York now & again and I wouldn't mind trying it.
Nick
mseymour
My Cars:

Post by mseymour »

The place is called ID Oils, they're on the A64 heading towards Scarborough, on the right if you're heading away from York, opposite vertigrow garden centre and not very far away from the ring road roundabout.
I've a feeling the thermostat actually sticks open. But running on this fuel the motor seems to get hot quite quickly, I wouldn't be too happy with it in hot weather.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Thanks, I might give it a try if I'm passing there.
My TD has always run at dead-on 79 degrees on the gauge, going up to about 86-88 during tickover in hot weather or heavy acceleration, when the fans cut in and bring it back down to 79 again.
broomie
My Cars:

Post by broomie »

Biodiesel - you cna run 100% on it AFAIK. Its been treated to be just liek dieselif its proepr biodiesel (waste oil is not Bio-dieel BTW). In anycase theya ll get same sort of treatment to make them thin enough, non coagulate, and filtered to run in an engine.
Your temp gauge tells me you may need to look at the Rad or thermostat of both.
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

What was the cost of the Biodiesel?