Sorry not Citroen but Renault problem Update again

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stuart McB
My Cars:

Sorry not Citroen but Renault problem Update again

Post by Stuart McB »

Sorry for this guys but was just after some advice before I start poking around under the dash board of the wifes Meagne Convertible. Phase 2 model (2001) 1.6 16 valve soft top . Problem is the radio every now and then drops the code. Did the usual and checked the wiring to the unit at the plug end and all seemed well. Now I went to the local Renault dealer for a price on a new radio, far to much but he traced the car on the Reno computer system and explained that the radio had been repaired as it " kept dropping the code" it would now appear that the problem has returned. Any how bought a new unit of E-bay £6.50 new and in the Renault box after speaking to a radio repair guy who said that his was a common fault with the radio them selves. You can now guess whats happend, that's right ... new radio in and fine but this moring after getting the paper start up code gone again [:(] . I know it ain't the radio but there must be a problem with the permanant live feed some where. Should I just get another live feed and chop out the original or do you have any ideas befor tommorrow morning?
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Any one?
beezer

Post by beezer »

I would say you were on the right track.
LeFrog
My Cars:

Post by LeFrog »

From my experience with auto electricians, if they can't find the fault quickly, they run another wire. So you are probably doing the wisest thing.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Thanks guys. Just been out and had a look at what's working in the car with out the ignition on. Interior lights and hazard warning switch. The switch looks as though it's going to be the best bet. In line fuse off and over to the radio as it sits just next to it. But if I can find a sutible entry point from the battery I may just come straight off the battery.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Had a look at the permanent live to the radio this morning, nothing at first but after about 30 mins of a wiggle test it did drop the code. Found another live from the electric mirror switch and spliced off this. New line in all seems OK. Also had a look at the drivers side window mechanism while I was at the mirror switch as it's been very slow and it's repair isn't covered by the Renault warranty, nice regrease and all's well.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Sorry for this but, I have now put a new permanent live to the stereo and last week end a new ignition live and it still drops its code [:(]. Apart form wiring straght off the battery and ignition swith I'm at a loss as to what to check next. Could the earth be dropping the code [?] I'm also in talks with the main dealer on this as I have found out that the car had a new head unit fitted after only 3 months for the very same problem so this looks like it could be an exsisting fault somewhere, but I aint holding my breath for a free repaire.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

It's indifferent if the 12V live or earth to the radio fails. Either would drop the code.
Try wire up a LED to each live one side - and the radio earth wire other side. Then redo the wriggle test and observe if any LED fails to light up - even shortly.
Best if you can connect the LED's directly off the radio connector to have all power wiring run tested.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Been to the local Reno dealer last night as needed a gearbox mounting bush [:(]. Any how got talking to the a mate who's in the parts dept. He told me that this kind of thing was not unknow in Reno car dealerships. Basically he says that customers have these intermitent wiring faults, radios losing the code, dash lights not working all the time that kind of thing and that Reno's party line is "cannot trace the fault so therefor it dose not exist" this is then made worse by "that'll be £80 please for diagnosesis". He has said that wiring straight off the battery is more that likley the best thing to do and throw in a new earth as well. So that's Christmas day booked then unless I can sort this week end.
LeFrog
My Cars:

Post by LeFrog »

I would be inclined to test the operation outside of the car. Can you be absolutley sure it's a car electrical problem and not a stereo problem?