GTi Instruments in a GL?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

burns

GTi Instruments in a GL?

Post by burns »

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how hard it would be (or if it's even possible) to swap the instruments from a 309 GTi into a 1.4 TU engined 309. I'm assuming it's a case of whether the wiring looms are the same or not.
Another option would be the dash from a 205 XS which I belive has a rev counter and a TU engine, but I'm not sure if the dash is the same shape in a 205 as a 309?
The final option would be an aftermarket rev counter, but they are expensive and I wouldn't get the backlit GTi instruments.
So does any one have any thoughts to share. Thanks for any help:).
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

I did it many moons ago to my old 205. With the wiring diagrams in the Haynes manual I managed to figure it all out. An easier way to do it is to find a GTi in a scrappy and remove the loom that runs from the fusebox to the instrument cluster, swap this and the instruments with the one in your car, and hey presto it works!
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I`ve done it a few times with a Astra & Cavalier.All i had to do was get the dash & the connector & wires(about 4 inchs of wire)& join the wires from old to new,colour to colour.For the rev counter,i ran a wire from the terminal on the clocks to the ignition coil.
The best way would be to get a set of clocks & the plug & wires,& have a look if the old & new ones have the same colour.Another thing,unless you have the same size wheels as what ever you get the new clocks from,the speedo may be a bit out.Might under/over read by a few mph.Not a major problem though.
burns

Post by burns »

Okay, thanks for the help. Looks like I'll be heading down to the scrappy soon then.
Edit// just remembered, what happens concerning the odometer(spl?)?. Can I get it changed to match my current one or do I just leave it like it is?
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I think the 309 gti`s had 185/55/15,or were they 195/50/15 tyres?I expect yours has 165/70/13`s or something like that.Do a search on here for Tyresave.They have a calculator that tells you the difference in tyre sizes % wise.I recently changed my tyres from 185/65/15`s to 205/60/15`s,i think the difference was about 0.97%,which ment my speedo would over read by about 2 mph.No speedos are ever 100% acurate anyway,so you wouldn`t really notice any difference.I spose you could change the speedo unit from one to the other if you wanted to.I try`d to change the speedo head on my Astra,but the speedo face was different to the GTE dash clocks i had.You can "clock" the mileage to match your cars mileage,but you may bugger it up.I try`d once on the Astra & jammed to odometer.I found another dash with roughly the same mileage as mine.
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

I took the clocks apart and changed my odometers over, so the mileage stayed the same.
burns

Post by burns »

I just thought I'd let you know I've done this now and it's gone okay:). I was surprised to find there is a lead for the tacho floating around behind the clocks already. So it was simply a case of unplug old ones, plug new ones in. The only problem is the speed difference issue. For the moment I'm just going to have to have a bit of paper taped next to the clocks saying the equivilent speeds, but come MOT time I'll have some wheels off of a GTi on there anyway[:D]. Just thought I'd post this in case anyone was thinking of doing the same.