a large dent

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

TheWorker
My Cars:

a large dent

Post by TheWorker »

so i`ve had my saxo on the road for two an a half weeks now since passing me test and having it VOSA tested (was write-off) when, monday just gone, the bin man reversed into it.
as you can imagine i was very pleased to get a body shop repair estimate of £1412.91. this includes new tailgate,bumper,light,and painting.
luckily i wont be the one shelling out for it.[:)]
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

How many times can you write off a car before it becomes a write-off? (I've only written off my '93 XM TD12 once so far)
//NiSk
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I don't know anything about your circumstances etc but as it is a write off for this figure presumably you can buy another saxo for this money.
Before you have it repaired why not sit back for a moment and think:
Is this saxo the best i can get for this money?
having driven it a bit would I buy it again or can I do better with something else?
can i buy something cheaper and take some money out?
can i put in a bit more and get something better?
cars don't have souls and when yours is repaired it may have a marked reg cert which may make it difficult to get rid of eventually. maybe its time for a change (already!)
jeremy
shezads

Post by shezads »

Sounds like reasonably light damage. Why not ask to be paid out by the insurance of other party (probably council). They will negotiaite an amount - probably ask for two - three quotes and pay the average amount.
You can then have your car repaired using a good local bodyshop and pocket the difference.
TheWorker
My Cars:

Post by TheWorker »

as i spent about that much on repairing the front end i dont really want to get rid of it this soon. if the council wont pay up a reasonable amount, i may have to think about a second hand tailgate -
same colour to keep the cost down or just live with the dent for a while. another reson to keep it is that the second half of my insurance gets paid next week.
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Have to Dis agree with jeremy on this one Im afraid, cars do have souls (or at least owners with soul have a feel for their car)
I have had one of my cars for ten years now and i will never part with it, I've also had another car that i had written off beyond repair some years ago that i really got upset about.
I've not felt this way about all my motors, and some are just transport, others are just mobile spares.
A car is yours to treat/do with what you wil, if you want that particular car and someone else is paying the repair costs, whats the problem?
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stinkwheel</i>

Have to Dis agree with jeremy on this one Im afraid, cars do have souls (or at least owners with soul have a feel for their car)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Tis true... I keep telling My ZX if it stops working then it gets teh oily rag and match to the tank treatment - never let me down yet (fear, its a wonderful thing!)
Get a settlement figure, buy the car back as salvege and fix it up if you truly love it.
tonyb1
My Cars:

Post by tonyb1 »

Yeah, I've gotta say that I spoil my Xantia. I bought it an MP3 stereo, fascia etc, new mats, nice trims, bless her little bumpers. I keep on telling my wife, it's not for me it's for the car. She just doesn't understand!
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Cars Have Souls.