Jerky Diesel?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

My Xantia TD used to do that - get it below about 1500 rpm on overrun and it would jerk away - solution was to change down to get the revs up. Never found out why it did it, but it never changed in the 40k I had it - including after I changed the cambelt, which did make the engine smoother and pull better from low revs.
Not much help I'm afraid, but I just lived with it.
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

I wouild be astonished if there was any work needed to the injectors at 60K! I assume he's tried the Italian tune up?
Engine mounts might be worth a look at as wear there can give the impression of jerkiness - similarly wear on driveshafts can do the same.
Ron
Rob Marshall

Post by Rob Marshall »

my TD BX does this at low revs. Characteristic????
fordsone27n
My Cars:

Post by fordsone27n »

My peugeot 205 had a similar problem. It was getting air in the diesel system.
Adrian
ScottFromNZ
My Cars:

Post by ScottFromNZ »

My BX TZD does this slight jerking also on very light throttle at low revs. It hasn't annoyed me enough yet to find out what the problem (if any) is.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

My '95 Xantia with 150k miles still hasn't had its injectors replaced or overhauled, it doesn't smoke either.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

The bottom engine mount causes these symptoms when worn, it first shows up in traffic jams as the heat softens the rubber. need to change mine.
Stewart
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

stop start on and off the throttle in lower gears causes the motor to swing back and forth like a pendulum and occasional "kangaroo petrol" symptoms too, look at the gear lever whilst the thing is performing, that can sometimes give a clue.
Stewart
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

I've had 3 PSA diesel engined cars - first one has 240k on it (Pug 205d - sold to a friend) and it's never had anything done to the injectors second was a bx 1.9d -200k+ on it with no injector work. current one is a zx 1.9d 126k and ditto.
I've had an injector stick before, but nothing that couldn't be sorted out by a bottle of injector cleaner and a good thrash up the motorway...
Ron
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

As Stewart points out - the various model variants with the XU(D) engine type has the lower engine mount in common.
My '89BX16 pet does the same with the (I guess) original engine mount still fitted.
AndyP
My Cars:

Post by AndyP »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by oilyspanner</i>

The bottom engine mount causes these symptoms when worn, it first shows up in traffic jams as the heat softens the rubber. need to change mine.
Stewart
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hmmm, this sounds very much like my current irritation. Feels like the clutch is juddering, hardly anything when cold, gets much worse when hot. I was beginning to think new clutch but this has given me some hope. <fingers crossed>
Jon

Post by Jon »

Has he looked at the o/s top engine mounting, the one that has to be removed to actually change the belt. The one that often breaks in two causing jerkiness!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

My first BX TD didn't do this, and the bottom mount on that was soaked in oil, and squishy as anything - the ZX TD doesn't do it either, and the mount on that looks pretty ropey too. By comparison the mount on the Xantia was dry and looked v.good. The Xantia did have that stupid thing on the accelerator to damp the last little bit of throttle movement - I always wondered if it was something to do with this, but never got around to taking it off to see.... The Xantia was also difficult to start hot - requiring glow plugs even after just a minute or two stopped - this may have been down to an air leak that only developed when it was warm, which may also have affected the running.
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

my xantia is a bit sensitive to throttle and i did notice when i did the timing belt that the top engine mount is looking a bit worn.
beezer

Post by beezer »

I had a similar problem with a Pug 205. Top engine mount was broken. Replaced it and found the o/s driveshaft intermediate joint was worn also. "Surely if it was running properly it wouldn't be doing this? " It will if you lift your foot off the throttle and slam it back down again. You are testing the braking of the engine. Mountings will be put to the test too.