noisy 405 interior fan on 1.8 td 1992

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

starbeam
My Cars:

noisy 405 interior fan on 1.8 td 1992

Post by starbeam »

Hi,
I have just removed the interior fan unit from my 405 as it was making a sweaking noise, even with the engine of and the key in the accessory position. The noise tended to get faster if I increased the fan speed.
Has anyone fixed one of these, are they worth fixing, if not then where is the cheapest place to get one.
Thanks for your help.
maddave

Post by maddave »

This is a pretty common fault with all 405's I think. I have to take mine out every year as it starts to get cold and find if you spray a load of WD40 on the spindle it cures it right up. No need to replace until it stops!! :D
Hope that helps.
starbeam
My Cars:

Post by starbeam »

Well as solutions go you can't get much cheaper than that, do you recon that LM grease would last longer than 1 year or will it go everywhere as the fan spins very fast on the high setting and gunk up or stop the motor working.
I'm just trying to make life simple by being laze and trying not to have to do this chore every year.
maddave

Post by maddave »

I did try lm grease too and it didn't hurt. Its just that the fan is very tight on the bearings so I thought Wd40 might penertrate(ooergh!) it a bit better. It does work and as I say stops squeeking for about a year or so until you start to use it more in the winter time. Quick and easy if its not complety borked or too annoying.
starbeam
My Cars:

Post by starbeam »

Thanks maddave,
Just one further thing, do you know if it is safe to use wd40 in the motors contact bushes or will it cause a short, its just that I figured I may as well wd40 it all and get rid of that dam squak where ever it may be.
maddave

Post by maddave »

Cant say for sure, but I use wd40 on other electric bits like spark plugs and wires to drive out damp. Doubt it would cause a problem.
Chris3005

Post by Chris3005 »

I had this problem in a 1993 405 - put WD on it and it lasted about 3 months, and then failed completely, to the point of seizing solid, within about 30 minutes of driving, leaving me with a misted up screen for the rest of the weekend. If you're keeping the car, it may be worth replacing it now, as you'll probably have to do it sooner or later.
Bought a new fan from GSF. No point getting a scrap one, they'll all have the same problem(unless you can get one which has already been replaced....)
Chris
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Did the same job on the 205 on Sunday. I gave it a squirt of oil and it seems to have done the trick, the squealing noise has stopped and the fan runs a bit faster. Now to see how long it lasts........