how long does a xantia battery last?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kid
My Cars:

how long does a xantia battery last?

Post by kid »

Hi again folks
Was checking the pollen filter but in my excitement (!) of releasing and refiting the screws the courtesy light were left on so the battery flattened.
All ok now recharged and ecu relearned settings, however i noticed the battery was manufactured few months before the car reg date so obviously it must be the original battery. Car still starts no probs whatsoever
So how much longer will it go on, surely 8 years is some sort of achievement.
By the way its a varta
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

Eight years good! Mine gave up last year - after six years. Happened overnight, no warning, suddenly no charge.
xantiaBFY
My Cars:

Post by xantiaBFY »

8 years is very good. The most mine has gone is 3 years.
regards
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

I am happy with anything over 4yrs but they usually go much longer on my cars....about 6yrs so far on the current one.
My Uncle holds the family record of over 15yrs for a Varta on his Mercedes!
The key to a long life is never ever letting them be drained below the usual level. Anything as low as a slow turnover or click on turning the key adds damage that builds up.
David
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

The battery on my BX 1.6 lasted 15 years (according to the 1992 date stamp on it). Even then I think it only died because the car was being used quite infrequently by that stage. It was a Varta too!
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

...of course that should be 1988 not 1992
sbraud
My Cars:

Post by sbraud »

Look's like I'll go for Varta in the future... My Xant batteries, both from H**fords mind you, only lasted 6 years, which I though adequate until now [:(]
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

I seem to get through batteries quite quickly on my Xantia now, roughly every 3-4 years. I think its a combination of a diesel engine, mainly used for short journeys, and cheap batteries.
I always intended to fit a Varta or similar to it, but both times its needed a new battery have been with little or no advance warning, so I've just fitted what was easily available nearby.
caveman_si
My Cars:

Post by caveman_si »

Not a cit or pug but my folks toyota space crusier had its original factory fitted battery for 14 yrs. cant remeber what make but prob something japanese. shame the battery died when it did, over night with no warning just before we sold it.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

My '97 Xantia still has the original battery in it, my '95 doesn't, it had a 'new' battery when I first got it, 4 years ago.
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

I bought a replacemnet battery for Peugeot 106D 5 years ago from Hal####s with a 3 year guarantee. Failed after 2 years and 10 months. So new one foc .. nearly time up.. looks ok.
(prior one used to discharge due to slipping alternator drive belt since replaced. All short journeys<2 miles!)
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

I've never understood why one original battery should last longer than another. We have three diesel cars here - all 1998 models. The Saxo and the 306 are both still on the top line. The Xantia's battery suddenly failed after just three years. I'd driven the car all day. Stopped for a half hour, and the battery was dead.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

If the unloaded voltage of a lead-acid car battery falls below 10V it is irrepairably damaged. Most car retailers know this, in fact the reputable car manufacturers require replacement of batteries found to be below 10v when the predelivery service is carried out. The question is, how many of them cheat? Such a battery will probably still last 2-3 years for an average motorist, as long as he doesn't put any additional oad on it and as long as the car is otherwise kept in trim.
//NiSk
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

mine only lasted 2 years, but that was because i was too lazy to change the knackered glow plugs.[:D]
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

Malaysian batteries lasts only 1-2 years. Perhaps its the hot weather which evaporate the water. Maybe we should source for Varta batteries too, if we can find them locally.