Xantia rear hub faliure?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Fox
My Cars:

Xantia rear hub faliure?

Post by Fox »

Hi all,
Posted last week about the rear hub on the Xantia now making an annoying noise after having been picked up as an advisory at an MOT as 'rough in operation'.
Now, the parents are taking the Xantia on a 150 mile trip tommorrow and I'm a tad concerned about this dodgy hub - you can only really hear the noise with the seats down but all the same I'd be interested to know what happens to these as they get worse - if its something like the wheel falling off then I'll be lending them my Mondeo!
Cheers.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The rear Xantia hub is the same construction as the rear BX hub.
I've been driving for approx 1/2 year with a bad rear wheel hub in one of my BX'es. The only consequence was a (very) annoying noise.
When I finally got to replace the hub, there only some play in the bearings. Nothing like the scaring scenareos.
If the problem is ignored it will at some point get dangerous of course. But that would take at lest some 5000miles. And long before it comes to that - you will get other rather annoying symptoms - like a woobly rear wheel influencing badly on the steering.
And the noise seems to increase, so you never forget ...
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

I ran an old Fiat with two slightly noisy wheelbearings for several thousand miles before I got round to replacing them. The only problem it caused was eventual uneven tyre wear on the two wheels concerned.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

My mother had a Volkswagen Jetta that had a noisy rear wheel bearing. They were tapered roller bearings, solution was to take the bearing races out, clean them regrease them and put them back together, this was done a couple of times and each time it quietened them for about a year before the noise came back.
Eventually, the wheel bearing was replaced they didn't need any annual regreasing after that.