droopy xantia rear

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

windy
My Cars:

droopy xantia rear

Post by windy »

I've recently moved on to a Xantia because I couldn't find another BX. All has been fine except that the rear suspension has just started acting strangely. It:
a) sinks when parked for a long time (like the BX)
b) will not rise to normal height
c) will rise to mega-high
d) will go down to mega-low
e) if you catch it in between mega-high and mega-low by moving the lever to normal ride height at the right time, it is fine - stays at that height, bounces when you lean on the rear wing, etc..
f) the LHM warning light flicked on briefly the day before this started to happen. Level is fine and light stays out now (even on mega-high).
When my BXs did this it was usually a seized lever on the rear height corrector. Five minutes spent up and down through the full suspension range always fixed it. I tried this with the Xantia but it hasn't cured it.
Anybody got any ideas?
mseymour
My Cars:

Post by mseymour »

Sounds like the rear height corrector linkage has fallen off. When they get stiff this can happen.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

If the (in-)fameous plastic link had fallen off, the rear height could not be altered by the lever.
I suspect you have he old BX problem, in the Xantia variant : it can NOT be cured with simple aerobics. You HAVE to get dirty hands [8D]
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

Anders, from my remembering, plastic link is a connection between roll-bar clamp and height corrector linkage (on Xantia), so height could be altered by the lever even without it
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by alexx</i>

Anders, from my remembering, plastic link is a connection between roll-bar clamp and height corrector linkage (on Xantia), so height could be altered by the lever even without it
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
That is right Alexx
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I stand corrected [:I]
Thanks Alex [:)]
petefa
My Cars:

Post by petefa »

Hi! windy, I had this problem and it was driving me nuts!
The cure for mine was to take it to full height and then switch off the engine. Undo but NOT remove the the pressure release screw at the front of the engine bay, (whistles better than me!) wait for the car to sink, and then tighten the pressure screw.
Move the height lever the normal and then start the engine.
take high, them low, then back to normal.
I had to repeat this 3 times, but in the end it worked, (well for me it did!), lol
Hope this is some help!
windy
My Cars:

Post by windy »

Thanks everybody for the suggestions. I'll check the plastic link and then try the pressure release method. I'll report back. Perfect day for outdoor mechanics today - thick white frost everywhere.
windy
My Cars:

Post by windy »

OK, it was the plastic link. It's still there, attached to the lever clamped onto the anti-roll bar. The other end of the plastic link (connected to the control lever on the height corrector)has pulled the steel pin out of the control lever. The pin is still in the plastic link, but I cannot quite see from a first look how this pin was fixed, maybe riveted. I'll have another look when I am a bit warmer. Anybody know of a good diagram on the web of the linkage components?
The root cause appears to have been that the pivot on the lever on the anti-roll bar clamp is seized solid (well I assume it is pivot).
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

windy
My Cars:

Post by windy »

Thanks very much for the exploded drawing and the Russian site, Anders. This makes it all much clearer than when lying down under the car looking up at the corrector and its linkage.
Tantalisingly, the one clue that I need cannot be clinched in either the drawings or the photos. That is, how the plastic link connects to the height corrector lever. I can see now that this should be a small ball of some sort that the plastic link snaps onto, but this is missing on my car. All or part of it is still in the end of the plastic link, and I can see the hole where it was fitted to the height corrector lever, but with no obvious means of fixing it. Is the ball permanently fixed to the lever, e.g., rivetted through (it looks as if that may be the case in one of the photos). Or is it replaceable, e.g., on a clipped pin/bolt. Since nothing like this is shown on the exploded diagram I would guess it should be permanemtly fixed.
Easiest solution would be to pop along to my local GSF branch and ask to have a look at a new height corrector, but it's a long walk. Anybody got a clean rear height corrector to hand?