Xsara VTS - Hesitation on a Trailing Throttle

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardR
My Cars:

Xsara VTS - Hesitation on a Trailing Throttle

Post by RichardR »

Since I bought my Xsara (2.0 VTS) back in August, it's suffered with a hesitation problem on a trailing throttle. In this situation, the car becomes noticeably jerky, to the point where I have to dip the clutch to stop the problem. It happens, normally when slowing to a stop, from pretty much any speed, being more noticeable in higher gear. As soon as a bit of throttle is applied, the problem goes away.
In conjunction with this, I've also noticed an erratic idle speed, with the revs sometimes sitting at around 1500rpm when stationary in traffic etc. The idle speed normally returns to about 800rpm after a minute or two.
The only other symptom I've noticed is that, when cold, the starter will require a few more cranks than I'd expect before the engine fires, but the car's never failed to start.
With the exception of the starting issue, the symptoms only seem to occur when the car's warm.
My local dealer's had a few goes at fixing this, but has now run out of ideas, so if anyone can make any (constructive! [;)]) suggestions that I can pass on to them, I'd be very grateful.
Thanks,
Richard
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

As for stating from cold get the battery checked, should be giving approx 14 volts to start, any lower on it's on the way out. The revs one is alittle more to sort out. Try a site search for rev's rising, throttle potentionmeter, MAP sensor, or idel control valve / stepper motor. All are not much to find around the engine. And check coils or coil pack, HT leads and plugs.
Huwbruin
My Cars:

Post by Huwbruin »

Richard
I'll be following this one as my BX 16 valve has the same problem.
It hasn't been used in anger for 6 months but is now doing 100 miles a day...
I intend to check / replace the plugs and plug leads - would already have done it but GSF don't list the items in stock and I'm waiting for NGK UK to tell me which plugs to use.In your case though, surely the garage has already checked this area...?
I have already cleaned out the idle actuator to no effect and will clean out the airflow meter next.
If any of these jobs makes the miracle cure I'll let you know.
As far as the starting is concerned - this is why I thought of changing the plugs. If,like mine, the engine cranks at normal speed on the starter it is unlikely to be the battery.
I seem to remember reading that a similar problem affects the Peugeot 205 1.6 and 1.9 GTI?
Anyone got any more ideas?
LeFrog
My Cars:

Post by LeFrog »

My pick is your throttle body and/or idle stepper motor. Try given them both a good clean with carb cleaner. I found that when I lifted of the throttle, it was if the car was being starved of air. After cleaning the TB & ISM, it fixed it.
RichardR
My Cars:

Post by RichardR »

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll do a bit more digging on the suggested phrases and then pass all the info on. This is an ongoing warranty claim, so I'm happy to let the dealer sort it out; it just appears that they need some pointers!!
I'll also be sure to post the solution, when it's eventually found...
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

do you have a list of what has been done & changed on the car ?
RichardR
My Cars:

Post by RichardR »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by wheeler</i>

do you have a list of what has been done & changed on the car ?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">No. Because the work's been done under warranty, I don't have any of the paperwork, but I was thinking that it'd probably be worth requesting it so that I could post the details on here to help narrow down the field of enquiry.