noise when starting

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Lennox
My Cars:

noise when starting

Post by Lennox »

hi all
My engine turns over fine and starts no trouble but when i release the key i get a really annoying screech only started when it got cold outside im thinking it could be the starter not dissengaging properly what could i do to fix it??? replace the whole starter? or is their anything i could do to fix this one? had a quick look today and the flywheel teeth are shiney is this right?
any help would be appreciated.[:)][:D][:)]
by the way its a 205 xs 91.
beezer

Post by beezer »

You might end up having to get a replacement starter but it is worthwhile removing the old one. Could be faulty solenoid or gear on starter shaft. You could wear out the starter ring (flywheel teeth) so worth sorting out soon.
Lennox
My Cars:

Post by Lennox »

thanks for the info beezer .Wont be using the car till next week so i will look into it saturday or sunday it will probably be raining tho :(
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Is it the altenator belt making the noise? Check the tension and condition of the belt, as it could be slipping.
Lennox
My Cars:

Post by Lennox »

had a better look and listen and the noise is definatley comming from the starter motor going to try and get it sorted this weekend but unfortunatly had an accident on my motorbike and really need that back on the road asap so that is my priority. thankyou for your help all of it is much appreciated.
Peter D
My Cars:

Post by Peter D »

Sound like the starter pre-engage soloniod it slow releasing and therefore being spun up by the flywheel. Remove sharter clean and lubricate the pre-engage yoke/fork parts and the solonoid plunger. refit and it should be fine. Regards Peter
Lennox
My Cars:

Post by Lennox »

sounds like peters option is worth a try will give this a go sunday if i have the time thanks for the advice :)