Quick question re: clutch cable

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

manic_man
My Cars:

Quick question re: clutch cable

Post by manic_man »

Hey all, I'm having my cable changed on friday but im not 100% sure which type of cable i need.
I have an early 1997 (P) Xantia TD, im no 100% sure do i have the manual type or auto adjust type?
I have adjusted my current cable in the engine bay before a nd this direct effected the pedal height. So im guessing i have the manual type, but id like to make definately sure before i commit some money to the cause.
Thansk alot guys :)
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

It is possible to fit either. Personally prefer the manual adjust type which I fitted to my 98 TD in place of the automatic one.
manic_man
My Cars:

Post by manic_man »

is there any way to know for sure which type it should be though? i presume manual as it has a manual adjust screw but if its supposed to be automatic then ill get the correct one as im trying to smooth ut my pedal as its been bad since i bought it and this is the cheapest starting point :)
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Cannot recall what the difference is at the clutch lever end but the auto one has a large section in the middle where the adjustment happens clamped to the subframe near the steering rack. The manual one is just the cable right through. R
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Manual adjusted cable has a screw thread for adjustment at the gearbox end.
Auto adjusting cable has only a nipple at the cable end.
The clutch pedal is the same for both types but there are two very different types of spring fitted to the pedal, pedal spring for manual type cable is of the axial design working directly on the pedal pivot axis, the action is to maintain downward pressure on the pedal keeping the cable lightly loaded.
The pedal spring for the auto cable is a coiled compression type, one end is attached to the side of the clutch pedal, the other to a fixed point on the pedal box, the action is to maintain upward pressure on the pedal keeping it against the return stop.
Check the colour of the cable clip at the pedal end, if black replace it with a new white one, these are glass filled nylon and are stronger.
Dave
manic_man
My Cars:

Post by manic_man »

ahh thank you, I bought the right cable then :D
(I have a long screw thread to adjust the cable at the gearbox end that i have adjusted before)
Also, im not covering the clip (or doing the cable myself) the cit mechanic thats coming to me (great guy) has a new clip which he says he will replace if need be, just as long as i got the right cable, phew :)
(now just to hope GSF can deliver on thursday or before!!)
Out of interest would anyone consider £20 to replace the cable (and clip if need be) a bad price? Considering he is gonna be doing it on my driveway so i dont even have to drive anywhere :p
I thought considering how hard anything to do with the clutch on these seems that £20 wasnt a bad price at all?