Xantia brakes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nelsonriddle

Xantia brakes

Post by nelsonriddle »

I recently had the brakes repaired on on '95 Xantia LX TD. I needed pads and discs front and rear. Having had this done, the grinding sound that previously occured had gone, but the brakes felt hardly any more effective. They need a lot of pressure to bring the car to a stop and the effort to the brakes seem to fade (needing more pressure on the pedal). Any ideas what could be causing this as the brakes are virtually brand new.
thew
My Cars:

Post by thew »

If all this work was done very recently, then they probably just need time to bed in. You could try driving a mile or so with the brakes on to speed this process up, although don't tell anyone I said so as this is not recommended. Other than that, the fluid may need changing.
jloner2
My Cars:

Post by jloner2 »

well sounds a bit to me like air in the system. all hydralics are run off the main suspension system. is there any differenc in the ride comfort.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

If the pad material is harder than the originals were, that will have this effect. They could be taken out & roughened uo, being careful not to inhale dust particles. If air has got in, it is usually easy to pick with a spongy pedal when brakes are applied.
I would be more inclined to think that your problem could be that the pistons are sticking in the brake cylinders. Usually it is a wise move to take out, clean up & relube with LHM & refit when brakes are repaired, particularly rear ones. That would be where I would start.