Transmission

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mike1703
My Cars:

Transmission

Post by Mike1703 »

Anyone know about transmissions? [Xantia TD turbo].
My transmission has failed, and I always assumed that all Xnatia TD's used the same BE3 gearbox. I'm in for a big bill - local garage claims mine to have a BE4 box which is not interchangable. Now I thought the BE4 was only fitted to the 2.1L versions, and mine is a 1.9
Even so, given the clutch is being changed, I can't understand why the cheaper BE3 [and cheaper clutch] can't go in my car - any comments?
Thanks
Mike
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Not sure about the fitment but could it be that the garage is just covering themselves against any comebacks by refusing to fit anything other than standard parts? Citroen are very good at chopping and changing components, especially around the time when model derivatives are updated.
Jon

Post by Jon »

All 1.9TD's used the BE3 or BE3R box. 2.1TD were fitted with the larger ML gearbox. BE4R is something completely different and newer, fitted to modern HDi models.
You should look for another BE3 from a Xantia or ZX 19TD. This is the only box that should be fitted, the clutch is unique to these 1.9TD's, its a pull clutch with release bearing mounted on the cover plate.