damping suspension noise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

406 V6
My Cars:

damping suspension noise

Post by 406 V6 »

Hello!
Is there any way or has been tryed to used some sort of isolation material to isolate the road/suspension noise coming from the hydraulics. Maybe some grommets and foam around the piping..?
Thanks guys!
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I don't really get much in the way of road/suspension noise from my hydraulics, all of the pipes are clipped away from the chassis.
If you've getting noise, I'd check that you don't have a pipe out of place and touching something it shouldn't. One of my flexible brake hoses was loose in the wheelarch and made noise / wore a clean patch of the inner wing.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

If you have any rattling/clonking from the suspension, I'd say you better take a closer look.
Good idea anyway as any piping that rattles around will leave traces on nearby bodywork.
It's wellknown that spraying the wheelarches with some thick & sticky (antirust) coating takes quite some road noise. Padding fom inside the cabin takes the rest ...
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

I asked this as usually, on Citroëns, due to the hydraulics, road noise is more easily transmited to the body, making a noisier than sprung cars cabin. I don't refer to any knocking or clunking noise, really.
Thank you!
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I agree that quite a lot of road / tyre noise can be transmitted.
My BXs were quite noisy, and the Xantia isn't much better, although a lot of the engine, gearbox and wind noise has been insulated out. I'd also be interested if anyone has found a way to improve things (other than running particular tyres - there's a lot of difference in road noise even between similar designs).