306 mk1 leccy probs

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bad driver
My Cars:

306 mk1 leccy probs

Post by bad driver »

I have developed a strange error on my electrics. Its a 306 pre 97 turbo diesel.
All rear lights work perfect, indictaors / fogs etc.
Front lights have gone screwy. Both headlights come on low beam no problems, on main beam or high beam only the passenger side comes on properly, the drivers side stays on dull beam. neither of the front indicators or side repeaters work as indicators or hazard lights yet the rear still flash as normal. I have tried swapping bulbs around but no success its something prior to the bulb. All fuses are in tact, Its the 30 fuse box and I have also checked the few that are in the engine bay. I have looked through the manual etc and it doesnt really give me any leads as to what may be causing such strange symptons. Hoping someone can shed some light (no pun intended)
beezer

Post by beezer »

Does sound like wiring to me. 'Dull beam' is probably not dipped beam but the side lighting which is there as back up and is brighter when car is running. Test for ground connection to the headlight connector. The 205 can be very problematic in this area.
bad driver
My Cars:

Post by bad driver »

Where is the headlight connector located? Is it the large multiplug on the inside of the drivers wing ??
beezer

Post by beezer »

The part connected to the headlight bulb. The earth comes off that and usually is connected to other earth wires on the inside of the wing or thereabouts. It is that spot where I have known breakages affecting indicators and headlights.
bad driver
My Cars:

Post by bad driver »

O, I will trace the wires along and check them for breaks etc. Would the one wire cause all the problems though?
Also I note in haynes etc the front indicators are not listed on the fuse's ??
Any idea which fuse it is and I'll replace it just out of curiosity.
beezer

Post by beezer »

I would be surprised if the indicators are not fused but if they work at the rear the fuse is ok. A bad earth can cause strange things to happen!
Just looked up the fuse layout - indicators are fuse no. 30.
bad driver
My Cars:

Post by bad driver »

half the problem is solved, headlights now work fine, front indicators also work fine but side repeaters dont work. Everything else come down to a bad earth so Beezer, hats off to you.