ZX TD Fuel Filter Housing Q

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PJLarge
My Cars:

ZX TD Fuel Filter Housing Q

Post by PJLarge »

Hi Folks,
I did a service on the ZX over the weekend. Halfords didn't have any fuel filters in at the time, so I did the rest of the service and left the filter on the to-do list.
Whilst waiting for the oil to drain, I decided to have a look at the condition of the fuel filter. It looked clean, so I reassembled it. Job done - so I thought.
Now, the car is a bear to start. I have to crank it for a good while before it catches. When it does go, there is no smoke, so it's not the plugs. I've tried manual priming and have found the problem - a small amount of diesel seepage from the top of the fuel filter housing when I pump the bulb.
So - what did I do wrong? I don't recall seeing an o-ring in there, the filter has a rubber seal round the top of it, yes? Is that the only seal on the housing or have I lost something? I've checked the allen bolts, they're tight.
If I go and buy a new filter from Halfords, will it include any seals which I may have lost?
Thanks for your help,
Phil.
Jon

Post by Jon »

The only seal is part of the filter, around the top of the filter.
Is the filter correctly seated in the housing, is the filter lid tightened correctly? I can only assume that when you removed the filter to inspect it, the rubber seal around the top may have been slightly displaced. I think that you fit a new filter, tighten lid carefully and bleed again then the problem will be solved.
PJLarge
My Cars:

Post by PJLarge »

Jon,
That's what I thought. I was sure I hadn't missed something.
The filter appears to be seated correctly. It's central in the housing and the seal doesn't look damaged. Maybe it had taken a set in the old position and compressed the rubber so making a seal is now impossible? I'll pick a new one up later and find out.
For info, when you squeeze the bulb, you can see a tiny amount of fuel appear from the locating notch area at the front of the housing lid. This is obviously letting air back in and causing my starting probs.
Is there a guide anywhere for the correct replacement / prime procedure?
Phil.
shezads

Post by shezads »

I have some seepage when I prime the pump from the filter housing - it is coming from what looks like a plastic screw on the bottom left side of the housing as you look at it from the front. -Can this be tightened / repaired / sealed or not?
PJLarge
My Cars:

Post by PJLarge »

Thanks for the help guys. Popped a new filter in last night and it's as happy as larry again this morning. As I suspected, the seal on the old filter must have gotten too compressed to reseal more than once.
Phil.