306 1.9 diesel 1995 headlights

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kataylor
My Cars:

306 1.9 diesel 1995 headlights

Post by kataylor »

Last night my wife noticed that, when headlights were dipped, only sidelights were left on. It would seem that the main bulbs only work when main beam is used. All other lights and electrics are fine. I have checked all the fuses as well as both the bulbs. Again all seems to be okay. Any suggestions for someone without a voltimeter?
A relay by the internal fuses has recently started erratically clicking. Couyld the two be related?
Thanks for looking.
ktaylor
samcro

Post by samcro »

Don't know if this is much help...
Have a 1998 106 and one of the headlights blew. Result was that one light had no dipped beam. It was either sidelights only or full beam from one side. Could this be your problem? 2 Blown headlights? When I replaced the dead bulb there was no obvious sign of damage to it.
If this is the case then there could be something else wrong in the electrics if both bulbs have one together.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Sounds like the same trouble that the ZX suffers from, the spade connectors on the dip/main beam relay corrode and they get hot and begin to arc, eventually connection is lost all together and by this time the relay has usualy melted.
The fast clicking relay is most likely the indicator relay, does it stop when you switch an indicator on, if so a new column stalk seems to be the standard cure.
Dave
kataylor
My Cars:

Post by kataylor »

Spent a few hours on Saturday on this. Bulbs were definitely okay (tried them on another puegeot). Traced all the connections and found that the dim/dip relay in the engine bay was working fine so the prob appears to be between there and the actual bulbs. However was driving around with only sidelights after fiddling and low and behold the main lights kicked in again. I thought I'd escaped such dodgy electrics went I ditched the 405. Nevermind.
I shall pursue the indicator relay issue. Thankyou for the advice Dave Burns.
beezer

Post by beezer »

I had the 'clicking relay' problem on my Renault. Very annoying on a 150 mile journey! The contacts on the indicator stalk had shed copper and it had mixed with grease to cause a bridge. The resistance was too high to flash the lights but it was enough to set off the relay. Cleaning the contacts cured it. Hope Peugeot stalks are as accessible.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

In that case KT try a different headlight relay, the contacts inside it could be burnt.
Dave