hose clips

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

espzetec

hose clips

Post by espzetec »

NOT to be confused with jubilee clips.
how do i get these little things off? they are on the rubber pipe that feeds to the hydraulic pump
beezer

Post by beezer »

If you mean the crimped jobbies, you cut them off.
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Are they the ones with the two 'prongs' sticking up (bad description!)? If they are, I use a pair of molegrips to squeeze them together. If they are the crimped type ones, you'll have to cut them off and replace them with jubilee clips. This is where a Dremel comes in handy.
Edit: Beaten to it!! Haha
espzetec

Post by espzetec »

but cutting them will damage rubber pipes! I think they are the ones that squeeze togther looking at them but i dont know!
beezer

Post by beezer »

If you are careful you should be ok. You can usually split them after cutting so much away. You will probably have enough length of hose to cut end off if it is damaged.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

There are no clips on the Xantia hydraulics that can't be removed and replaced without damage with the correct tool. The correct tool isn't a pair of molegrips as suggested above, it's a pair of carpenters pincers (end cutting pliers?). You use them to compress and then to unhook the clip, and as Haynes is fond of saying, refitting is the reverse of removal.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Quite right, Kowalski! I was quite surprised when disconnecting all the pipes from my XM 2.5TD's LHM tank (a total necessity in order to get the damn thing out!) to find that the hose clips can actually be undone, on first examination they look like fit-once and forget clamps, but no - they can quite easily be removed (and replaced) with the tool you mentioned.
//NiSk
beezer

Post by beezer »

It is as I thought. The clips espzetec is referring to are the same ones adopted by Renault for high pressure connections. There is no tool and no hooked edge and carpenter's pincers will get you nowhere. They are crimped metal endcaps. You cut them off.