MOT

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

np
My Cars:

MOT

Post by np »

My car past its MOT today[:D].Only thing was the smoke test.The last 2 yrs the emissions have been well under the limit,3.00%.Last year was 0.97%,the year before it was 0.99%.Today the highest was 2.77%,the lowest was 2.55%.The 1st time in 12 yrs i had a different tester,he only briefly rev`d it 3 times.My usual tester revs it flat out for about 3 secs,normally 5 times.Hardly any smoke came out today.Am i worrying about nothing?[:I].Is it because the other tester revs it for 3 secs,the smoke clears & then you get a more realistic reading?I`m on the motorway each day to work,& been to London & back the weekend,& its chucking out the same amount of smoke as its always done.Its a bit overdue for a service[:I],about 600m,would that make a lot of difference?
As i said,i`m proberly worrying about nothing,its just a big difference over the last 2 years.Still,not bad for a car with 141k on it.Many thanks[:)]
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Does it have an exhaust cat? Just curious because I have a theory that the cats in diesel exhausts can tend to trap soot particles, then release them when the car is next revved hard, such as during an MOT smoke test.
I had the cat removed from my 1.9TD last month, and despite the dire warnings from Kwik Fit numpties that it wouldn't possibly pass the MOT without it, the smoke emissions have actually reduced since, and it passed the MOT no problem 2 weeks ago.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

No cat on it.The exhaust runs straight through to the only box on it,the back box.I might try some Wynns injector cleaner in it.The last time i put some in,i couldn`t belive the extra smoke that came out of it when i floored it!I`ve got another 13 mths to worry about it.
Cheers
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by np</i>

No cat on it.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Bang goes that theory then!!!
How long is it since the air filter element was changed? I always make a point of changing mine just before the MOT.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

6500 M.I`ve been busy the last 4 w/ends to service it.I normally do it every 5k.Doing it this w/end though.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Neil, whats all this with "115 hp conversion" then?
//NiSk
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> 6500 M.I`ve been busy the last 4 w/ends to service it.I normally do it every 5k<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Thats the guilty party, then!!!!
I always change all the filters and the oil the day before the test, and a good Italian on the way there!!!
The motorway runs help, but there's nothing like caning it on the governor in second or third.
Works on petrol motors, too.......
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I had it boosted by www.vanaaken.com 2 1/2 yrs ago.They basicly reset the fuel pump to take power from 92bhp to 115 bhp.Torque goes from 148 lbft to 185 lbft,more than a 2.1 td.Looking at the forum,you could do it yourself,but they know what their doing,& they check it all before & after.Newer TD`s like the HDI can have a "black box" fitted that does the same thing.
The car didn`t pull our caravan very well when i got it.It would struggle to do 50mph on the motorway,thats why i had it done.Fuel economy was/is about 40mpg in every day use.So the extra power mayed(?)no difference to that.