406 1.9TD ignition switch

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

intruder

406 1.9TD ignition switch

Post by intruder »

I have been told I need a new ignition switch, but this will involve replacing all the locks and the ignition switch as peugeot only supply the complete set at a cost of £220. The problem is that when the engine starts there is no revcounter + a pronounced diesel knock, if I wiggle the switch the engine will run normally and the revcounter works. Does anyone know of a cost effective way of repairing or replacing this switch.
Thanks
beezer

Post by beezer »

Those that work when you 'shuggle' them are annoying! It might be possible to get in to the switch and solder the terminals back to rigidity but you can likely get one scrap at www.247spares.com - you give details online and you get phone calls with quotes. It means having a different key for the ignition though [:(].
intruder

Post by intruder »

I have had 3 opinions on this, one said switch, one said ECU, third put car on diesel diagnostic m/c & reckons could be one of three things, either ECU, injector switch, or injector pump. They also said that they know a taxi driver that has put 60,000 miles on his 406 with a similar problem, so I am going to run it and see\what happens