Weird Stopping XM Problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

UFO
My Cars:

Weird Stopping XM Problem

Post by UFO »

Hello All
A friend in the Cit Car Club has, amongst their 10 car (not all Cits, three Lambos included!) a 1998 XM with the 24V V6, adaptive auto etc etc.
They are having a strange problem with it of late and the local dealer is having probs identifying this intermittent problem - perhaps one of the expert andyspares fans can help?
The problem is that they will be driving along perfectly normally and the car will either start to lose power to the point of almost stopping or will stop dead. Starting the car and driving away straight after seems perfectly normal and the problem may not occur again for hours or days. We are glad it has not happened to them in a situation where they could have been killed.
To me it seems to be some sort of major loose connection, but despite best efforts by the very reliable dealer, it cannot be found.
Any ideas?
(BTW - I will be posting more info on the ELIT computer CD next weekend)
JackTar
My Cars:

Post by JackTar »

Check the air vent to fuel tank, it could be fuel starvation.
Jim
UFO
My Cars:

Post by UFO »

Sorry it has taken me a while to get back. The problem was found (well actually known it turns out) by the dealer.
The owners had been advised a few months ago when they picked up their XM after an auto gearbox replacement, that the catalytic convertor was nearing end of life and would require replacement very soon. Guess what? The contents of the cat convertor had disintegrated and blocked the exhaust causing the engine to die.
I theorise (and may be shot down in flames) that their cat convertor had died relatively early (ie <120 000km) as they had been using standard 91 Octane ULP instead of 95+ octane PULP. The road to their home up until 12 months ago was also maybe to blame as they had about 5km of dirt road. The road is now sealed.
Anyway, the vehicle is back in operation.