Xantia rear hub replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Fox
My Cars:

Xantia rear hub replacement

Post by Fox »

Hiya,
The Xantia needs a new hub on the rear nearside wheel. It was picked up as an advisory on an MOT a few months back and is now making an awful noise. Is this an easy DIY job, and if not, is it something thats likely to be expensive to get a garage to replace it? How much is the part?
Problem we've got is that when you've got a 10 year old 163,000 mile Xantia, it gets to the stage where one expensive job could mean the end of the car :(
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Is it just the wheel bearings that need replacing ? If so it shouldn't be too bad. The GSF catalogue lists the bearings as being between £36 and £42.50 depending on RP number and whether it has ABS or not.
I've never done this job on a Xantia, the last car I did it on was a Fiat. It just needed a decent puller and a lot of heat to get the hub off.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I think its the same as the BX-Its a bit easier than most bearing jobs because the bearing comes as part of a new hub-disc carrier. Thats why it costs more than a plain bearing.
You will need a hub puller, if you haven't got one or seen one, this is the sort of thing you need-
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.as ... 2076&g=111-any spares shop will sell you one.
Remove the brake caliper-you shouldn't need to disconnect the hydraulics, as it only needs to go far enough to get the disc off.
Take the brake disc off, and undo the big bolt in the middle of the hub which holds it all on-sorry,I can't remember the size of this. Then pull off the hub and the bearing outer race comes with it- you then have to spend a bit of time hacking the inner race off the stub-axle. I cut into it with a grinder and then split it with a cold-chisel.
Then, hopefully, you should have a bare stub axle and you push the new hub assembly on, refit the disc and caliper, put a new bolt on, which should come with the bearing, put the wheel on, and job done!!!
It sounds worse than it is-take the back wheel off and have a look and it all becomes clear- the main problem I found doing it on the BX was getting the bearing water shield on without damaging it.
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

done this one myself replaced both rear bearings on my xantia, as bodger has said you just need to loosen the brake caliper and you need a puller to remove the hub, i managed to remove the inner race on one side again using the puller but on other side i had to use grinder, fairly straight forward job though.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

You might consider replacing the entire trailing arm with a decent one from the breakers'. It's an easier job IMO, and would save doing the suspension bearings, which are almost certain to go sooner or later, and unless you're lucky will mean changing the arm anyway.
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

Its a very annoying noise isnt it! Yeah, I managed to do one of these on my last motor, once I got the hub retaining nut off it was plain sailing. So if I can do it anybody can![:o)] Did need quite a lot of force/ a large pole to get the required torque though...