heater doesn't heat

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mallyg
My Cars:

heater doesn't heat

Post by mallyg »

I have an M reg xantia 1.8i. My problem is that the heater dosen't seem to get very warm even on long journeys and now winter is almost? upon us i could do with some heat in the car. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Thanks
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Mallyq, I think I would start with making sure the cables are still attached to the control levers! It is not unknown for the cable to become detached.
Mind you before you start that one check for air locks in the matrix. There is a bleed screw right up against the bulkhead where the pipes pass through and if there is air in then it wont get warm!
Holding the pipes will soon tell you if water is circulating. Good hunting, Robin
mallyg
My Cars:

Post by mallyg »

Thanks Robin, How do i get to the cables to see if they have become detached, do i need to remove the dash to see or is there another alternative. I feel some resistance when i move the heater control, so i will try bleeding the system first.
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

The control cables require the removal of the radio surround, two screws in the ashtray aperture, and then lift it away from the clips at the side and top. Remove the radio and then tackle all the screws you see, two on the radio four on the heater control panel. carefully lift the control panel upwards and over the securing lugs. You will be able to see if any is wrong then. It needs patience, determination and a bit of luck. Change the bulbs while you are in there. 2 required. Allow a good couple of hours and do it in the better light. Good luck, Robin
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Has the car been Radwelded? If it has, you can kiss your chances of any heat goodbye.
mallyg
My Cars:

Post by mallyg »

while i am checking the cables is it also possible to change the heater blower control, i have an intermittent heater blower and suspect the control that possibly needs changing? (see intermittent heater blower post 6 July 2004)
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

You may find the blower control can be 'adjusted' while you have all apart. Good luck, R.