Car not cranking

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tjsingh

Car not cranking

Post by tjsingh »

Hi,
I have a peugoet 306 diesel (not turbo). With all the cold weather the few days i did not drive for 1 day and it now does not want to start.
I turn the key to turn the car on but nothing happens. The lights all come on?
I did a test on the starter motor and there were 3 wires one of them red which is the power. That showed 12 volts. There were 2 others wires (brown and white) which i tested by turning the car and it showed 0.25 volts not sure what voltage this should show?
can anyone advise me the checks i can do to find out the problem
cheers
TJ
beezer

Post by beezer »

Do you get a click when you turn the key to starting position and/or do the lights dim?
tjsingh

Post by tjsingh »

Hi,
The only click i get is when the solenoid clicks for the diesel (orange light) thats before i actually turn fully.
But after that nothing happens. Lights dont dim but turning nothing spins or anything
hope this helps
beezer

Post by beezer »

Sounds like ignition switch. The click is the glowplug relay (and probably stop solenoid right enough). Before you go further, you say there are three wires. One thick red one and two others?
tjsingh

Post by tjsingh »

there is one red wire going into there then a two other wires which are joined together. They are white and brown.
beezer

Post by beezer »

Okay - It is not easy to go by colours as I do not have a wiring diagram. The first thing to do is make sure the car is in neutral! Turn on ignition. Run a wire from the starter solenoid small terminal (probably the two wire terminal if they are thin wires) to the positive of the battery and the solenoid should energise and turn the starter. If this fails, it is likely your solenoid if it is successful then your ignition switch or circuit is at fault. Is there an immobiliser fitted? Anyway, if you get it started you can then decide whether to take it to an autoelectrician or fix it yourself. Let me know how you get on. One thing before you do this. Check the earth connection to the engine.
tjsingh

Post by tjsingh »

Hi
We actually started the car yesterday when towing it. When moving put it in first gear and it started. But when switching it off we could not start it again until we starting towing it
What does that mean? is it the starter motor?
beezer

Post by beezer »

I think it is more likely the ignition switch. If it was the starter you would more likely notice the lights dim and you would hear the solenoid click, unless that is the problem.
If you try what I suggested you will be more certain. You can short out the starter solenoid terminal where the big fat wire goes with the small spade terminal but the arcing can damage the (copper) thread so shorting with the battery is a safer bet.
tjsingh

Post by tjsingh »

Cheers
Gonna get it checked this morning.
Are ignition switches expensive? cos i rang peugeot they go its 97 pound
ps. know any places where I can get a second hand rear bumper?
beezer

Post by beezer »

www.247spares.com is good. You give your details online and get phone calls with quotes. They will quote for ignition switch and bumper. Look at the price of bumpers from GSF though. You might be surprised at how reasonable they are new.
tjsingh

Post by tjsingh »

cheers will have a look there otherwise theres always scrappys!
tjsingh

Post by tjsingh »

just a quick question the solenoid is that part of the starter motor?
beezer

Post by beezer »

Yes, it is a smaller cylindrical gubbins fixed on top of the starter motor. This picture is upside down:
tjsingh

Post by tjsingh »

so if something was wrong with the solenoid i would have to replace the starter motor
ps. cheers for the site got some really good quotes
beezer

Post by beezer »

Easiest is to change starter and you probably won't find a scrappie to split the two. Up here it is usually no more than 20 quid for a scrap starter. Depends on the model of car though. You shouldn't have much bother. I can usually repair solenoids but not worth bother if you get a good price for a scrap motor.