BX Front Wobble

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CommY
My Cars:

BX Front Wobble

Post by CommY »

Strange problem with My BX the front wheel wobbles (felt via the power steering and gearstick) in a Big way up to 40mph after this it is smooth as silk. The steering wheel moves about 1cm with the wobble. Also after a long run you get a localised hot spot on the tyre, the old one bulged up (BADLY) in this place. New tyre on different rim and wobble remains. No wobble/judder under braking.
Any ideas as nothing appears loose.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Sounds very much like you have a tyre that is seperating from the cords. If this is not the first time, I's suggest you take a close look at the suspension, possibly the lower control arm bushes in case the wheel is tending to move to & fro and running off track.
It can also be caused by rotating radial tyres diagonally which in fact reverses their original rotation and whilst they may not be directional, according to the tyre boffins, can cause casings and cords to overheat & seperate.
Also, check on the hardydisc (the rubber coupling on the steering pinion shaft) and look for any signs of leaks from either the steering pinion or rack seals.
Alan S
czenda
My Cars:

Post by czenda »

Sounds very much like what I had on mine. Heavily cracked Hardydisc, just as suggested by alans. Fixed with a spare part (about 5 EURO including bolts and nuts) and 30 mins of cursing.