vibration/resonance from berlingo exhaust

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KEVCN
My Cars:

vibration/resonance from berlingo exhaust

Post by KEVCN »

Hi,[?]
I've got a '04 berlingo (new)....
On startup(high tickover),about 1800rpm and just above 3000rpm there is a very very ominous noise/vibration/resonance.....
Its mostly comming from the exhaust, 'cause if i get someone to put their foot at the rear of the exhaust,it gets rid of it.... It is caused by the engine vibrating though.... the exhaust is ridgidly bolted to the motor and acts as an amplifier in this case!!!!
Again, im goin mad here...... any info would be really really apreciated >>>>> Kev....[?][V]
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Could it be a cold exhuast sheild over one of the box sections? I know they sound tinny and can some times vibrate as they're too close to the actual exhaust. I sorted my centre one out by a gentle pushing back in to the under body.
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Stuart, Kevcn. Could this be a loose catalyst block? R.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

I know Citroen build quaity has been called into question at times but I wouldn't have thought it was the cat already. Then again we don't know the milage or if it's diesel / petrol. So Robin that could be worth a check at this stage.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Its more than likely a case of the exhaust rubbing on the body of the car somewhere and just needs 'tweaking' into another position. As its still under warranty take it to a dealer to sort out.
KEVCN
My Cars:

Post by KEVCN »

Ive checked eveything underneath, nothing is rubbing or touching.... I loosened the exhaust at the engine (flange with two studs) to a point where it was begining to blow out, this stopped the vibration...
Is there a gasket here? or would inserting one help?
Or is there something causing access vibration, like a pulley??? (belts seem to be ok).............
KEVCN
My Cars:

Post by KEVCN »

Its diesel, 1.9
Kev....
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

this might sound weird but try removing the complete air filter housing & see if the noise is still there.
isnt the car under warranty anyway ?
KEVCN
My Cars:

Post by KEVCN »

cheers for the suggs lads...i will look into them asap... even though I think its not going to be easy solve this one....... Its already been back to the dealer, they replaced part of the exhaust and didnt tell me what they did.... It didnt make any difference anyway....
The exhaust is making the noise its self, like a low pitched drone that gets you in the ear...( i know that sounds daft) kev....
KEVCN
My Cars:

Post by KEVCN »

IVE STIL HAD NO LUCK........[:(]
simonelsey
My Cars:

Post by simonelsey »

Used to have new vauxhall astra do this. turnt out to be rear exhaust rotted from inside. This is caused by the cars being held in storage fo bit of a time A new plate doesnt mean a new car .I ve seen cars sitting in fields or waiting at docks unplated.