ZX.. Random flasher.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

James.UK
My Cars:

ZX.. Random flasher.

Post by James.UK »

Hiya, the lil red light that tells me when my glow plugs have warmed things up sometimes flashes? It doesn't happen often, and it seems to be random.. It will flash after the engine is running, or immediately the ignition is switched on.. It always stops after two or three minutes of its own accord, whether the engine is running or not, or whether the car is moving or not..
I have checked the oil, water, fluid levels etc on several accasions when it does this but never found anything wrong? [:I] and I haven't found any ref to this flashing light in any of my w/s manuals...
It's not a problem as such, but I would like to know if its some sort of warning light, or just some sort of intermitant wiring fault. Interestingly this fault seems to appear during the winter months? I haven't had it happen all summer, but it behaved in the same manner last winter.. ?
Any idea what the problem is? or what the flashing indicates? Thanks... [:)]
The car concerned is the K reg ZX...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Red light? Glow plug light is orange with a coil of wire on it... Sounds like you might have wiring fault somewhere, but I don't know why there might be a connection with the temperature.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hi Richard, yep thats the one.. I am colour blind, so looks red to me [:I]..But deff has a lil coil of wire on it and lets me know when the glow plugs are on/off.. extreme right hand of the ones that light up when ignition is turned on...
Engine temp is always between 85-100 ish but normaly runs at around 88.. But this flashing only happens on start up.. Usually when the engine is cold..
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

It's not moisture on the wiring in the box on the passenger side wing for the glowplug timing is it? Try one of those oil sprays (WD40) on you electrics to see if this cures it.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

I think I need to be more explicit.. [:I] The flashing is regular when 'on' very like any other warning light indicating a problem. its a steady blip blip blip blip.. it doesn't randomly flicker like a bulb on its last legs [:o)] its a regular even flash and it always stops after a couple of mins..
Has this light got a duel purpose? is it a combined glow-plug oil-level warning light for example? Though I have checked and can't find any levers that need ajusting...
The other problem with it, is the fact that it only happens once or twice a week or less, so its hardly a serious problem ...or is it? ... I think I need to know why it does it???? [8)] [8)] [:o)]
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

does the light go out when starting from cold? if so does the car start normal?
if the light doesnt go out does the car still start fine?
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hi Twiss. The cars performance is unafected.. Sometimes the light flashes immediately the ignition is turned on, but more usually, it starts to flash after the normal display time has expired.. i.e. it goes from constant to flashing after about 20 secs..
Its almost always when starting from cold. And it always stops flashing after a minute or two regardless of what the engine/car is doing..
The car starts normally-easily whether the light is flashing or not.. I'm half convinced this is a duel purpose warning light.. But cant work out exactly what its warning me about... dohhh...[:I]
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Just had a thought (rare moment?).. heh heh.. does the ZX 1.9D engine have any form of elec warning light associated with oil pressure or levels?? If so, can you please tell me where the sensors are?... Thanks...
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

Hello James i dont know if u have sorted this prob out but i think that fault is to do with the glow plug/s them selfs, my boss recently had a simerly fault, as the the glow plug light would flash, when the garage tried to remove the glow plugs they found that one of the glow plugs had erodded away. if my mem serves me right once all the glowplugs were replaced the fault went away, hope that helps.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Thanks twiss.. I have cleaned everything in and out of sight under the bonnet, then sprayed with silicone again.. touch wood its been ok since I did that... fingers crossed... lol...