XANTIA WARNING LIGHT

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

XANTIA WARNING LIGHT

Post by ACTIVE8 »

I would like some advice on a warning light. On the Xantia there is a warning light which intermittantly can flash, with the engine running on intial start up.The background colour is yellow & the picture is of a dipstick.Please could you explain the significance of this because normally most cars have a low oil pressure warning light which will warn you when it's too low & too late! As I said the light comes on intermittantly & also flashes for several seconds.Is there a sensor which is faulty or does it point to something more serious?.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

This is the oil level light - not to be confused with the oil pressure lamp.
Check your oil level half an hour after the engine has last run and on a LEVEL surface.
On my ZX the lamp can flash if the car is parked inclined to the drivers side.
If the oil pressure light (red) lights up - something expensive has occoured! Best to keep the level topped up before this happens
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Yes, I agree, because I also thought the Xantia came equipped with a level indicator & I checked the oil level again, having previously known that the level had been OK, because obviously a warning light can signify that the car has a problem. I have actually had the car a while now, & this warning light did not come on before now. I regurlary check the oil, & all other levels to ensure the car is OK. The level is checked after it has had time to all drain back to the sump, or before commencing a journey, & has maintained the same level so it's odd that it should now be flashing. So I am inclined to think that the level indicator itself is at fault. Also where would the oil level sensor be located on the engine? Note that the car in question is an 1998 Xantia Activa 2, & the level has been checked when either when the car has been parked for a while ,and is sitting level, or when it has been recently driven,& has maintained a level attitude. Could it be that Activa's are more prone to this problem than other Xantia's? I note that you mention about your ZX doing the same when inclined to the drivers side, but how much inclination does it take to cause this? My Xantia Activa does not appear to be sitting with an inclination, & the additional Activa components are working correctly,& keeping the car level as they should, especially when cornering where this subtle hot hatch can corner like it's on rails.[:D][:D]
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

It's probably a duff sensor which is on the front of the engine block, or it might just be that the connector has corroded.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Thanks for the information, Stempy. I will have a look at that tomorrow. Cheers.